The Great Seed Swap

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by yotetrapper, Jul 6, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I dont know if this will work or not. I also realize that it may be too early in the year for this. I'm wondering how many of you save seeds from your plants and veggies. Also, how many start plants from seeds.

The way this would work best I believe, is everyone list what they have, as well as what they want. If you see seeds you want, and have something they want, you have a swap. Sorta be like one big "side swap".

I know at this point I have very few plants gone to seed, but I was just wondering if there would be any interest in this. If there is, and it's too early, maybe something to get started a little later. By mentioning it now, figured would give people time to start saving seeds as their plants go to seed.

Anyone interested?

2. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I know I WILL have snow on the mountain and just about EVERY kind of heirloom vegetable seed known in awhile but I have nothing right now. Its a really good idea but I think we need to wait awhile.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I am in! [​IMG] I have a bunch of seeds that are from last year... and some from this Spring that I never got a chance to plant [​IMG] All have been stored well [​IMG] The seeds I planted this spring from 3 year old seeds I had grew and bloomed! [​IMG]

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I am definitely interested! I grow heirloom veggies and the guy I get mine from died this year. [​IMG] (Derrill Merrill the Tomato Man) I am hoping to have some volunteers from his Hawaiian Sweet 100 tomatoes, but everytime I've gotten some mystery tomato pop up, then one of the kids pulls it up. [​IMG] [​IMG]: barnie I'm nursing one that has/had buds on it that has transplant shock, and I am hoping that it makes it. I am not sure who else would have these. If anyone does, PLEASE pm me!

I have various heirloom tomatoes and flowers.

Shelly

5. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Well it seems as though we have some interest. I guess we should probably wait until september or so to give stuff the time to go to seed. My main point in posting this early was to give time to anyone interested to start collecting seeds. If things get busy here, ya'll feel free to bring this swap back up at the end of august or early september, if I forget to.

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'm interested, but it will be a year before I have much of anything to swap. This year I bought mostly hybrids, but next year I'm getting heirlooms. Would like to be able to save the seeds and not buy them every year. Plus the squash that germinates in my garden from the compost pile is always some wierd mystery hybrid offspring.

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I'm interested!
    I'll have some amish paste & roma heirloom mater seeds later this summer. I've tried to keep them in different beds, but am afraid I got mixed up and they'll be crosses, though...

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    LOL @ the mystery hybrids! Our friend threw out some pepper innards when he was making chili one time. It was a habanero and a bell. So, the next year a pepper plant comes up, had a beautiful mini chocolate bell pepper (or so he thought!) He said it was the worst thing he had ever tasted! LOL!

If they are true heirloom varieties, then they should be ok. There are self-pollinating and open-pollinating varieties. Also, if you are worried about it, just put "possible cross between X and Y varieties" I'd be willing to take a chance on your seeds! [​IMG]

Shelly

9. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Have lots of heirloom tomato seeds here and a few flower seeds. Anna Russian, Kelloggs Breakfast,Black Cherry are a few for now.

ML

10. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I could harvest some lupine seeds from my moms house - she has a yard full.

Louella

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by