the great worm debate....

spell

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
....rages on!

today, I was told to feed the chickens (wait for it......) COAL! to prevent worms.
ep.gif

Really? Has anyone ever heard this?

Some of you may have seen my previous post on worms. Based on advice (received here~thanks dawg and all the other suggestions), I set off in search of valbazen. No Luck.
As I dropped my boy off at 4H, I decided to pop in the AG EXT. office and ask the livestock guy his thoughts. He said, Wazine (actually the other name that starts with a "p"). He also said that he didn't understand every one's move away from that particular product. He also suggested put lime in the run (keeping the chicken inside until watered in) to prevent worm growth in the soil. OK, I can handle that....

Stop 2--pop into the local feed store for a look at the options. I ask about the valbazen or any other suggestions. Wazine again. I have some but, decided to inquire further. So out comes the chicken guy. And I quote, "I didn't tell ya this... but I feed 'em coal & ain't never had a problem with worms". The shock on my face was apparently obvious so he proceeds to tell me that his daddy and granddaddy always had. Still I'm not sure that anyone/thing should ingest coal.
hu.gif
Not sure I can handle that.....

I'm a middle of the road kinda girl. I try to do the best to treat/care for/love the things in my life to the best of my ability. All these opinions are becoming a little too much for me.
I guess we all know what they say about opinions....
old.gif

So, if you would like to contribute to the debate......please share your opinion/thoughts/rant.
thumbsup.gif

ps. i'm going with the wazine (this time) b/c it's on hand, a good coop cleaning, possibly the lime (if we have some), & a keen eye. ordering valbazen for next time. thanks for your help, y'all!

Surely he meant charcoal? Burned wood? People do feed that for health benefits, though I never heard of it preventing worms, before. I sometimes throw charred wood into the pen and they'll eat it.

Never heard of feeding it to chickens, but I have heard you can put it in dust bath areas for parasites. (I never tried it)

I too wonder if the actual substance was charcoal, and "coal" was somewhere along the line substituted. It's just as possible that he IS feeding charcoal but said "coal." Well, if they've been feeding coal for three generations (of men, not chickens), then it must not hurt them... but I wouldn't trust just his word.

Inactivated charcoal is often given in cases of poisoning, as it helps prevent distribution of the toxins across the GI lining. Maybe there's some indication that the presence of charcoal will also prevent growth, development, and feeding of intestinal worms, hence breaking the life cycle?? Interesting thought...

So in feeding them charcoal.. do you mean going to the grocery store, buying a bag of charcoal brikets(sp?), smashing them up, and throwing them into the run?

Quote:
No those are full of a bunch of toxic stuff, I remember my dad use to buy special coal tablets from the pharmacy to give to me when I was sick of the stomach bug or something to absorb all the toxins and it worked. Also if you have fish tanks the filters have charcoal in the them to absorb any bad stuff also. But I remember watching survivor man and when he got sick he just ate the burned wood charcoal left over from his fire.

I am sure he meant natural charcoal, ie. burned wood. You can get a small bonfire or even in your grill and burn some pine logs (or oak, maple, etc.) most of the hardwoods are good for making charcoal. The stuff at the store is full of chemicals. I would stay away from cedar and junk trees, like sweetgum. As the burning wood is red hot hose it down. It should be nice and black now - natural charcoal. You can give it to dogs for bad gas.

Charcoal I use is left over from incomplete burning of oak or hickory. After burning, bust up chunks to work it into soil a bit for dusting. Otherrwise birds will pick at to get what they want. They are clearly partial to it and will consume all of if given time. I think it is used to balance toxins produced by some of the plants the birds consume. My birds definantly consume on a regular basis plants that are known to be toxic. I bet they consume more when they have access to charcoal. Styrofoam seems to be something they like when otherwise they would be consuming charcoal.

nope! COAL.
i asked very clearly, "the kind you burn?".

"you put it in a sock and smash it to bits with a hammer and set it out like you would grit"

Back
Top Bottom