the greenest hatcher ever PANIKING!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pattgal, Nov 29, 2010.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    ok so my chicks are due on dec 1 (day 21) and that is all i know, lol
    i'm just a little concerned because I read somewhere a bout different incubation times for different breeds
    does this mean I shouldn't have put brown eggs with EE eggs under the hen??

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    All Chicken eggs go the same amount of time, sometimes Banty eggs hatch a day early, but they all average 21 days.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    doesnt matter the color of the eggs. They all hatch approx day 21. This last hatch of mine didnt hatch til day 22.

4. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    OK is it possible my hen just ate a few of my eggs??? would she eat her own chicks??????
    I found broken shells and no chicks. 2 of the eggs were dud's but im sure there was more than that in there. we ran out of feed this morning but eating her own chicks????
    for now I took them out because half of them are due today and half tomorrow
    I put them under a lamp, what do I do?
    I was set on the idea momma would just care for them. I was gonna put the heat lamp in there for them and everything
    can I put them in with momma after they hatch???

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Unless you are me, then they hatch on day 19 when I wasn't ready.

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I've never hatched out chickens, but I did hatch out a Moluccan Cockatoo. The parents nibbled off some toes within the first hour so I pulled the chick and hand raised it. I know some animals don't recognize their young and will eat them (I know 'cause I used to work at the zoo) so yes, it is possible. I would have done the same thing as you and pulled them. I'm hoping someone else with more experience will be able to help you out.

7. OkieChickenDad

OkieChickenDad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Look under her wings? early hatchers hide. Did you mark the eggs BEFORE you removed them? Temp and humidity are now your biggest problem if you took them indoors and put them under a lamp. I would take the hen and the eggs and bring them in where you can keep an eye on her, but I would put the eggs back.

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Look under her wings? early hatchers hide. Did you mark the eggs BEFORE you removed them? Temp and humidity are now your biggest problem if you took them indoors and put them under a lamp. I would take the hen and the eggs and bring them in where you can keep an eye on her, but I would put the eggs back.

I agree. A pet carrier would suffice for a broody nest. I would put them back with momma for sure. The chicks could have fallen out of the nest or be hiding somewhere. Personally I have never heard of a hen eating her chicks.

9. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Just checked the coop, under her wings no chicks....
    I cleaned her nestbox since there were no eggs left for her to sit on, looks like it was a dud. the goop from the egg had run through the straw to the floor. I'm relieved!!! is there a way for a hen to know which ones are good or bad? would she be getting rid of them somehow? or maybe the eggs just got too fragile over time.. what do you think
    I will take your advice and bring the dog carrier indoors
    I will send an update as soon as possible....

10. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Ok! well I got her inside but she would not settle down. I'm surprised my kids didn't wake up from all the squawking!
    so I went in and got her brooding buddy (one of my silkies) and she sat on them instantly. [​IMG] Just when I thought my silkie was useless haha
    My silkie gets broody but she can only really handle 3 eggs and she is not careful like my EE. she tries to take to many eggs and leaves some uncovered
    anyway.... I hope all the disruption with the eggs being taken out and everything hasn't affected them. they were cold when I took them out, that was one of the reason's I did it
    I don't know what I'll do without you guys. I'm getting the internet disconnected at the end of Dec. [​IMG]
    I will keep you posted
    and post pics of the chicks providing that all goes well
    P.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by