1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The ground?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Why do chickens like to eat off the ground rather than out of there' feeder? I'm of the ground is kind of disgusting isn't it?
    Do the chickens think that the food on the ground is bugs or something?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    They probably just don't care if they're eating off the ground. Maybe its easier to get to then in the feeder. [​IMG]

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Sep 27, 2012
    Maybe

4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe they're going for the combo-scoop approach. Some people eat all of their potatoes before eating their corn. Other people take their fork and stab some corn and then scoop the potatoes on the fork and eat them at the same time. Maybe the chickens want their feed and that tasty looking gnat at the same time - maybe it adds a nice spice to the feed. Or...maybe it's as simple as wanting granola on their yogurt or icing on their cake.[​IMG] I'm not gonna eat what they eat to find out though.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. Mr MKK FARMS

Sep 27, 2012
    ha ha! that makes sense!
    thanks!

6. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    They need to eat a certain amount of sand/dirt/grit to digest their feed, so maybe they just like to eat it together, rather than eat the grit for desert.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Sep 27, 2012
    That makes sense to!
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by