The Hagans were celebrating last night - boastful parental blathering

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by A.T. Hagan, May 17, 2010.

1. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Now, just the fact that last night was the official end of the '09-'10 4-H year would have been reason enough to celebrate. The last month or so before we wrapped every thing up has been hectic with bookwork, documentation, and trying to find where a year's worth of photos had been stashed.

But the real celebration was the Kinder Major getting the pay-off for a year's worth of work and her parents riding her to get it done! She turned in project books on poultry (Scratching the Surface), embryology, and marine science and received blue ribbons and pins for them all as well as her dance work (theater arts) and a Gold Cloverleaf award! That last one surprised all of us. She's only ten so it's been difficult at times to lead her to believe that smart, hard works eventually pays off. Well, last night it finally did. Along with the other kids in her club they took the county project book trophy again for the second year. One more year and they get to keep it. I told her that if she got her poultry and marine science pins I'd buy her a club jacket to wear them on. As soon as she sat down from receiving her awards she said "I want the corduroy jacket, not the satin one." [​IMG]

The Kinder Minor only turned five this year so is technically too young to be a Cloverbud yet, but she's been so enthusiastic when we take her to events and (usually) well behaved that when they called the Cloverbuds up to praise them for their work for the year she was astonished when they called her up by name too! Gotta recruit where they can! [​IMG]

So last night they got one of their favorite suppers - meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Then a cookies & cream cake with cookies & cream ice cream. They went to bed smiling.

You know? Raising kids is a lot like work!

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

A.T. Hagan :

Now, just the fact that last night was the official end of the '09-'10 4-H year would have been reason enough to celebrate. The last month or so before we wrapped every thing up has been hectic with bookwork, documentation, and trying to find were a year's worth of photos had been stashed.

But the real celebration was the Kind Major getting the pay-off for a year's worth of work and her parents riding her to get it done! She turned in project books on poultry (Scratching the Surface), embryology, and marine science and received blue ribbons and pins for them all as well as her dance work (theater arts) and a Gold Cloverleaf award! That last one surprised all of us. She's only ten so it's been difficult at times to lead her to believe that smart, hard works eventually pays off. Well, last night it finally did. Along with the other kids in her club they took the county project book trophy again for the second year. One more year and they get to keep it. I told her that if she got her poultry and marine science pins I'd buy her a club jacket to wear them on. As soon as she sat down from receiving her awards she said "I want the corduroy jacket, not the satin one." [​IMG]

The Kinder Minor only turned five this year so is technically too young to be a Cloverbud yet, but she's been so enthusiastic when we take her to events and (usually) well behaved that when they called the Cloverbuds up to praise them for their work for the year she was astonished when they called her up by name too! Gotta recruit where they can! [​IMG]

So last night they got one of their favorite suppers - meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Then a cookies & cream cake with cookies & cream ice cream. They went to bed smiling.

You know? Raising kids is a lot like work!

But I'm told it's very rewarding when done right! Congratulations to the whole family for a job well done!​

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Amen, raising kids and staying married are both a lot like work, but both are the best jobs I have ever had. They are your greatest accomplishement. Congratulations on your work and the evident results through them. Now grandchildren, they are just fun without the responsibility. I'm loving this part too. In ways I wish I was still at your point in the journey, but then, I'd be missing the NOW.

5. patnjess

patnjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    heck ya! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by