The happiness of the free ranging girls.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bakerjw, Jul 1, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Even if it just tossing them a handful of grass into the tractor, I usually try to spend a little time with our girls every evening.When I get free time they get their treats which usually allows me some time to let them free range for a few minutes . They are fond of pizza crust, watermelon rinds, macaroni, etc... Last night I had to restring some of the electric fences on a pen and the chicken tractor so I brought the girls out to let them wander the back yard for some extended free ranging. It was all the typical chicken things like my son advising my wife that a chicken was sampling one of her hostas or them getting into a flower that she had just planted. One even went up to the "Chicklet" pen where I have the white leghorns and got into a chest thumping match with a WL roo through the hardware cloth. As I worked it was just enjoyable to see how happy they were running around flapping and checking out everything in the yard. Every creature seems to have its own way of showing its happiness in life and the girls were showing me theirs. It was a good day to be a chicken owner.

We do have fox, raccoons, opossums, skunks, and other predators in the area so full time free ranging is out of the question.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    What? No Pictures? You know we need pictures.

Sounds like a good time was had by all except maybe your wife never mess with her new flowers [​IMG]

3. awheel11

awheel11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I love seeing my flock free range! [​IMG] Luckily for me, my dog is fiercely protective of her chickens so there isn't much danger for them in the daytime. I lock them up every night though and they stay in their covered run if I'm gone. Thanks for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by