The Happy News Thread!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, May 27, 2010.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Okay, so I had a thread going voicing how many "bad news" posts have been posted lately, animal abuse, fires, murders, etc. It's a bit depressing. So another poster (credit to Birdgirl [​IMG] ) suggested a "love thread". I decided to generalize it into Happy News in general. So post your good news here! Happy things that have happened to you lately, good news you've heard about others, touching news stories, things that move you, etc. Just nothing negative.

Let's spread some good Karma! [​IMG]

I'll think of something to share and post it in a few....

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    A cashier called in two days ago saying she was in labor...still don't know what the gender is, but can't wait to see! A fellow CSM is getting ready to deliver (they don't think she'll make it past this weekend!!!). Really excited because I told her it was a girl! [​IMG] She let me feel it hiccuping. It was the first time I have EVER felt a baby move inside a tummy. Weird...kind of like an alien kicking around in there!

3. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Okay, so I guess I'll tell the story of my chickens. I've wanted to keep chickens my entire adult life, but I always lived in apartments, or rented houses, or lived in towns where they weren't even allowed. Whenever the subject of "life dreams" would come up, I would always say the same thing. I'd say: "All I want is a small house somewhere way out in the woods and I wanna keep chickens". That's literally what I've always said.

Well, I recently broke up with my boyfriend in Massachusetts and decided I needed a fresh start, and I had saved my pennies and was able to buy my very first home! I didn't ever expect that I would be doing it alone, but if you look at what I always dreamed about, it really never included anyone else, either! So I bought this adorable little house in the woods of New Hampshire. It's very small, more of a cottage in size, but it's just me and my kitties.

I moved in mid-December, so it was a very rough start. Many power losses, tons amounts of snow, carrying firewood until my body wanted to scream, shoveling etc. It was a scary first few months in my new house. Finally spring came. The birds started coming to my feeders, the flowers started blooming, I was able to sit in the sun on my deck.... things were looking up. Suddenly I realized I was living my dream! Almost! I had my "small house in the woods" but no chickens yet. I picked up the chicken books I had bought years earlier in contemplation of this day, re-read them, did research, found this board, and now I'm the proud mommy of 7 Bantam chicks![​IMG]

It might sound so simple, a small house in the woods with chickens. But I love to walk outside on a sunny day and eyeball where I plan to build my run, and look around with no neighbors in sight, only the beauty of the trees, and I think to myself, "Well, I might be poor (I am), but I have everything I've ever really wanted". [​IMG]

How about you?

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  4. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Oh, how neat. I've never felt a baby in a womb either. I imagine it would be freaky but cool. That's awesome. Tell us the gender when you find out!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    awww! Awesome post...
    What part of mass are you from?

6. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I was born in Hull (South Shore), but I was raised in Maine and lived in several states in my adult life, New Hampshire, New York City, Maine & Mass. For the last 5 years before moving to New Hampshire I lived in Kingston, MA, which is just north of Plymouth, on the South Shore. Close to Cape Cod. I looked at property in your direction, West Brookfield I think?? Where are you?

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I was born in Hull (South Shore), but I was raised in Maine and lived in several states in my adult life, New Hampshire, New York City, Maine & Mass. For the last 5 year before moving to New Hampshire I lived in Kingston, MA, which is just north of Plymouth, on the South Shore. Close to Cape Cod. I looked at property in your direction, West Brookfield I think?? Where are you?

Next town over from the Brookfields.. Ware.. [​IMG]

8. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I was born in Hull (South Shore), but I was raised in Maine and lived in several states in my adult life, New Hampshire, New York City, Maine & Mass. For the last 5 year before moving to New Hampshire I lived in Kingston, MA, which is just north of Plymouth, on the South Shore. Close to Cape Cod. I looked at property in your direction, West Brookfield I think?? Where are you?

Next town over from the Brookfields.. Ware.. [​IMG]

Wow, that's real close! I was very close to buying a lovely piece of property there, a great deal, with lake rights. But then I found this house in NH and it was about the same price but included a HOUSE. The West Brookfield one was property only. But it's a very nice country setting out your way.

An ironic side note: I said to my friend at the time looking in West Brookfield that the street name "felt right" to me. Sounds wacky I know, but I just had a good vibe from the street name. Well, I didn't realize this until much later, but it turns out the house I bought here in NH has the very same street name AND even the same house #! I thought that was just too weird and decided it must have been some sort of a sign.[​IMG]

9. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    wow congrats on your new home Laurajean!! and congrats on being a mom to chickens [​IMG]

i never really liked birds lol. i like birds with webbed feet though [​IMG] i am a mommy to 2 7 month old scovies, 1 2 week old scovy, 1 2 week old mallard, and 1 2 week old rouen and also a bunny lol my dream is to have some pekins and geese [​IMG]

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Next town over from the Brookfields.. Ware.. [​IMG]

Wow, that's real close! I was very close to buying a lovely piece of property there, a great deal, with lake rights. But then I found this house in NH and it was about the same price but included a HOUSE. The West Brookfield one was property only. But it's a very nice country setting out your way.

An ironic side note: I said to my friend at the time looking in West Brookfield that the street name "felt right" to me. Sounds wacky I know, but I just had a good vibe from the street name. Well, I didn't realize this until much later, but it turns out the house I bought here in NH has the very same street name AND even the same house #! I thought that was just too weird and decided it must have been some sort of a sign.[​IMG]

Thats cool that they both have the same name... [​IMG]
    I used to live in West Brookfield.. On lake wickaboag....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by