The hardest decision...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Anna-MN, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Anna-MN

Anna-MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    One of my very old birds has been moving pretty slow lately and today she took a turn for the worse. She hasn't laid an egg since last June. All she does is just sit on the roost, gets up once to eat and drink, and then back to the roost she goes. But at night she sleeps in a nest box. Today I walked out there and she had watery poop all over her back side and legs but still ate and drank a tiny bit. I think it may be time to dispatch her. She's lived a great long life but I don't want her to suffer her last few days here. So my question is- what would you do? And if you did dispatch her, how would you do it? I've never had to do this before and it's very hard for me. Any advice would be great.

2. brojrm

brojrm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Zachary La.
    I know its hard to put a bird down I have had to do it in the past myself.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I may be stupid... but to me while there is some quality of life I would not consider euthanasing a chicken.. if she eats and drinks and shows no sign of distress I would give her more time... if she stops eating/drinking then it is time for her.

I always used the sure method of chopping the head off - no it is not pleasant, nor is any death but for the sake of the chicken it is quick and effective... no doubts about ensuing pain.

I recently had one of my donkeys euthanased ( on the advice of my horse Vet ) and if I could wish for any better way for your girl....... then it would be by lethal injection.. that is not always possible with a chicken... plus the fact that you would have to take her to a Veterinary establishment ... that would stress her even more.

i do not walk in your shoes and it is so very difficult to admit when we are defeated by influences that we have little or no control over.. you know your own chicken and can and will make the decision for her....

Bon courage!

Suzie

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would:
    • Do a thorough exam.
    • Dust her for mites and lice with poultry dust, NOT DE.
    • Weigh her.
    • De-worm with Safeguard/Panacur, liquid or paste 50mg/kg by mouth.
    • Bring inside and watch her for a few days.

The above is what I do for starters, but I'm a coward when it comes to euthanasia.

5. Anna-MN

Sep 19, 2012
    The deed was done yesterday evening around 5pm. I was at my niece's birthday party and my boyfriend called me to say that Ol' Red wouldn't even lift her head up anymore. She was laying in her favorite nest box breathing heavily with her head rested on the edge. Her sister Goldie was sitting right next to her. Josh took her out of the nest box, closed the doors, did it swiftly and she didn't even move. She was gone within seconds. I am crushed but it was her time. Thank you everyone for your advice.

6. BigRooNTN

BigRooNTN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    East Tennessee area
    Sorry for your loss.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss.

8. Anna-MN

Sep 19, 2012
    Thanks for the support!

9. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    so So sorry! That is hard to go through

10. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I'm sorry this happened but your boyfriend did the right thing. Sometimes as hard as it may be for us, the best thing to do is send them on their way. I believe they too go to a better place. Why would God create them if he wasn't going to keep them in the palm of his hand, as he does us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by