The Hardiest of Breeds...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gresh, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Another question from me! I was wondering if any of you could give me suggestions on chicken breeds that not only do well in heat but also do well in cold. I live in North Carolina and temps are not extremely low in winter, but do get cold; and our summers are killers, though not as severe as say Texas or Florida. I was thinking of Langshans, Brahmas, or Dominiques, but do not know what kind of extremes they can take. If anyone knows, or has any other breed suggestions, please feel free to share!

Thanks!

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Buckeyes, Chanteclers, RC R.I. Reds, Dominiques, just to name a few.

I think Dominiques would be best for hot, hot weather. I do know of a person on Alabama that has Buckeyes & no problems.

3. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Another breed that does fine in hot weather are the Naked Necks. My Orpington seems to be taking the heat better than my Doms.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    My easter eggers do great in the heat but we don't have the cold temps that last very long like up north. I've heard their pea combs make them less likely to get frostbite.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Rhode Island Red's, Dominiques, Gamefowl, Buckeyes, Chanteclers, Plymouth Rocks, or Java would do well were you are at.

Chris

6. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Orpingtons & Delaweares do good, or at least mine do. & I am in NC. to.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Dominiques are excellent in all kinds of weather. [​IMG]

8. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! [​IMG] I'm surprised at some of them, particularly the Easter Eggers, the Chanteclers, and the Orpingtons being heat-hardy, but having never owned the breeds before, I really don't have a reason to doubt you. I really like Easter Eggers and Chanteclers because of their unique build and looks. I also like the suggestions on the Buckeyes: I myself have two Buckeyes (chicks) and am looking forward to their future hardiness. I like Dominiques, but have heard that they are difficult to breed true.
    Thanks again, and if anyone has anymore suggestions or experience comments, feel free to share!

God bless!

9. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    I would not go with EEs, because an EE is any Americauna cross. So how would you know if you're going to get a hardy bird? They're always going to have hybrid vigor, but sometimes that only gets them so far.

10. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:That's a good point. I don't know where you can really get pure Americaunas, except from a breeder who sells for high prices. I understand hatcheries like to use "Easter Egger" and "Americauna" interchangeably, but that that is actually deceptive 'cause EE's aren't true Americaunas. Do you know of a hatchery that sells pure Americaunas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by