The Hatch complete - pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sdhawk, Jun 24, 2010.

1. sdhawk

sdhawk Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Central Georgia
    It's day 20 and I am starting to get a little concerned. No rocking, no pipping, nothing yet. 6 days ago I had 11 lively embryos. The anticipation is driving me nutty. This is my first attempt at incubating, I made an incubator and I recently bought a couple table top incubators for my subsequent attempts. I figure if I don't see anything by day 24 the likelihood of late quitters is what I will have. I hope and pray that's not the case. Either way, I'm not going to wait long for my next batch.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    If they haven't pipped yet, there's no harm in opening the incubator and candling. It will at least either set your mind at ease or make you even more worried, lol!

It's not unusual for them to hatch a little late, and it's possible that they're just sleeping when you look in the bator. They won't rock all the time.

Good luck!!

3. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    It was day 16 when I dropped something on my broody hen and broke all but two of her eggs. Chicks were nearly formed and a few took quick peeps... I was horrified, so it could be worse.

Good luck with yours.

4. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    true..best to check if they havent pipped yet..mine always start something right on the 21 or hours before the day starts...
    temp might be off a bit so it can delay the hatch..but it wouldnt hurt to check and help calm the mind..i know it can be tough [​IMG]
    i get like that every hatch

5. sdhawk

May 16, 2010
    Central Georgia
    I checked them as suggested and the air cell has good definition. They looked okay, I'll just have to wait them out. I have had a few temp variations (on the low side) during the last 20 days. I just have to take this "one day at a time!"

6. sdhawk

May 16, 2010
    Central Georgia
    I just noticed one of my eggs have pipped! We'll see how it progresses. Time to start the pictures... [​IMG]

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Awesome!! Congrats! Now, don't get impatient--it can be 24-48 hours between pip and hatch, and the others can be days behind the first.

Make sure your humidity is up and don't open the incubator more than once or twice a day, and only if you need to to remove babies or fix a problem. Make sure you raise the humidity high before opening it.

Good luck!!!

8. sdhawk

May 16, 2010
    Central Georgia
    WE HAVE A CHICK!! One of our cuckoo maran eggs hatched today. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  9. sdhawk

May 16, 2010
    Central Georgia
    The hatch is over, here are pics of the new babies. 2 cuckoo marans and 2 welsummers.

[​IMG]

10. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    It does go much better "one day at a time" I couldn't sleep after my very first egg pipped. I hovered over the bator until I had to force myself to get out of the house my second hatch... Congrats on your 4 little cuties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by