1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The hatching 'bator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by insiderart, May 18, 2009.

1. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Please everyone indulge me tonight. I am getting my hatcher set up and ready to go tomorrow. I did a search but something like 150 threads came up and I have a migraine and didn't have the wherewithal to go through them.

So.. here's question

1. What do most of you put on the floor of the incubator to help keep it clean. Papertowels? Won't they get wet?

2. Humidity 64% correct?

Otherwise I think I'm ready to go.

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I like to use cardboard egg cartons with the bottom cut out. You're right on with the temp and humidity. Good luck

3. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Quote:Oh you mean with the eggs set in them? I am using cartons in the incubator, but thought I should use styro in the hatcher because of the humidity. So your paper cartons are ok in the hatcher too? I got some wet in the incubator accidentally and they really wicked the water.

So I'm good to go with carton in the hatcher, I thought maybe people were putting something on the mesh to catch droppings?

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    No you would be good to go as you are.

5. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Oh and thanks for the reply Opa! [​IMG]

6. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Sounds good to me too. I usr the syro cartons in the hatcher. but personally I would jack the humidity to about 70%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by