The head hen is so mean.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Aug 20, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    to the other three. She pecks them whenever they come close, she strolls by or if they are eating something she wants. The few times I have been in there I scolded her. This morning I gave them four a banana broken into several pieces. She peck each pullet and chased them away. She then charged me. I swatted her with my kiddie rake. She ran and stayed away. I wish she would stop PMS'ing and start laying. LOL! [​IMG] I guess this is what they do, huh?

The others are fine. She has done nothing more than peck them in the back of the neck, nothing severe.

2. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Sounds like a mild version of my older hen, who's head honcho. Hopefully yours mellows! Mines in timeout in a brooder inside right now [​IMG]

3. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Hmmmm....sounds like someone needs to go to finishing school. Naughty hen.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My little witch is 2nd in command. I'm giving serious thought to putting her in chicken jail for a few days to see if that helps. The only one she doesn't chase/peck is the lead hen. My patience is wearing thin with her...if they weren't allowed to free range so much I think her hiney would be gone by now...

5. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    Does time out work? I got the same thing going on, but with a bald submissive and another going bald!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Many swear by isolating the bully for a few days (w/food & water of course) away from the other birds. They say when the hen re-enters the flock, they are typically lower down on the ladder...

7. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Got her cornered this evening after seeing her picking on the others. I used my little plastic kiddie rake to help me. She immediately squatted into submission. I "pecked" her a few times behind the neck and held her down for about a minute. I have the feeling that is going to take a few times to get her to catch on that I am boss!

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I have heard this sort of complaint more about RIR than any other breed! I had one BR that was fairly aggressive until the first time she went broody, but other than that, they really haven't ever been all that bossy. I know removing her from the others for a few days will take her down a few pegs on the dominance chart, but I'm not sure if you are ready for that yet.

Gotta shut of pc- deadly lightning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by