the heat lamp or my dear husband...which do i keep

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhythmicgoldfish, Apr 15, 2009.

1. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    my chicks are a week old now and the brooder is in my kitchen the problem is that ever since i set the brooder up his sinuses have been getting dry and painful and he has been blowing blood out of his nose (eew) my house is temperate do i really need the lamp ... is their an alternative??

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I would get him a cool mist humidifier (spelling) to help him. They need the heat for a few weeks, unless you can raise you house temp to 90 for a week. Maybe a garage or shed?

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    put them in a 95 degree room......... or move them to a spot where he rarely travels..... (do you have a spare closet, bedroom, heated garage?)

4. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I'm not sure but maybe the air is too dry verses too warm. I would say try a humidifier to balance it out in the room???

5. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Get your hubby a bottle of saline mist. (Available generically for less than $2) He will be happy and so will you and your chicks.

Your chicks definitely need the heat until their feathers come in. They are not fully feathered for 4 or more weeks.

I have my chicks in the kitchen in a big Rubbermaid tub - thankful my hubby doesn't have a fit about it. If you have another room they can move to, do it - I have nearly 5 weeks old chicks in my basement and one week old chicks in the kitchen (yes, my name is Karla and I have a chicken addiction...)

6. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    Ditch the hubby keep the heat lamp & chicks [​IMG]

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My nose gets this way every fall when the weather changes from humid summer air to colder dry fall/winter air, and also in the spring when it gets really WINDY. It's definitely the lack of humidity - at least in my experience.

We put a Vicks brand regular old vaporizer in our bedroom and with the door closed it makes it quite steamy overnight. You can also drop your central heat a couple of degrees because the humid air feels warmer (just make sure the chicks have enough heat of course) plus it makes a nice white noise.

Our computer room (spare bedroom) is always warm if we keep the door closed. I didn't know the heat from two personal computers (well mine's a laptop) could make that much difference, but it does. So we put the chicks in that room to take advantage of it being warmer. The kitchen/living area of our house is draftier. It's in the 80's in here with the lamp and the computers!!! If you could close them in their own room it would help the rest of the house stay more normal.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Can you put the brooder on the porch, in the garage, outside?

As one who SUFFERS from allergies, I know how much chick dander can bother them. If he's got blood coming out, he may already have an infection.... may need some antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by