The Hennington Inn Flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kitkat2498, Mar 12, 2013.

1. kitkat2498

kitkat2498 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    The Crafty Chickadee forgot about her chicks,again! She had been so busy reading Derp's stories,she completely forgot to watch the time. After a quick glance out the dark window,she jumped up and rushed out to get her babies.
    The Two Terrors had gone into the feed box to sleep, and the other two decided to sleep outside. Silly hens! So,the Crafty Chickadee grabbed the two girls that were outside,all cuddled up, and placed them in the sleeping box. Then it was time to get the first Terror.
    The Crafty Chickadee grabbed the mealworm can and started shaking it. Immediately, Terror Number One (or more commonly known as Georgia) hopped out and began following the Chickadee's flashlight and, of course, the sound of worms. She hopped up into the coop and settled in. Then it was time for Minerva, the other Terror. She's not so easily persuaded with food. So,the chickadee had to climb in the feed box and catch Miss Minerva.
    Minerva did not appreciate this. The chickadee had to hold the fat chicken with both hands to keep her from flying away. Which meant she had no hands to hold the flashlight. She stuck it between her knees.
    Now imagine trying to carry a very unhappy chicken while holding a flashlight between your knees and stepping over the high doorway. If you have pictured a very funny mental image of a waddling lady carrying a very ticked off,squacking chicken with a flashlight slipping from between her legs, then you have got it exactly right.
    The Chickadee shut both terrors in their coop, and after saying goodnight to all her chicks, locked the doors to keep them safe from curious night creatures. ​

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad terror number two did not get loose and run. Night time chicken chasing is no fun.

3. kitkat2498

Dec 29, 2010
    It is most definitely not fun! One time we lost a chicken at night,and tracking her down was practically impossible. Luckily she hadn't strayed far.

4. kitkat2498

Dec 29, 2010
    Say hello to Miss Elliana!

[​IMG]
    She's our new, sweet-as-can-be black sex link pullet.
    When we first brought her in, she was pretty nervous. She was taken from a flock of twelve, so our little group of three was quite a change for her. The Two Terrors refused to accept her, and began tormenting her. Poor Miss Elli wouldn't stand up for herself, and finally the Chickadee had to separate her completely. This sent her into a very depressed state.
    She would spend the whole day in front of the mirror.
    [​IMG]
    She must have been so lonely that she figured her own reflection might bring her some comfort. The Chickadee couldn't stand to see Elli so sad, and so she took down the mirror and spent more one on one time with the pullet. A few weeks later, a new chicken was introduced to the flock. Samoa, the Serama hen, was placed in Elli's side of the coop. The little hen quickly showed Elli who was boss. She would grab Elli's bum feathers and hold on tight, while poor miss Elli honked and flew around. After assuring her spot in the pecking order, Samoa calmed down and befriended Elli instead.
    Now the two girls are as close as sisters,despite the size difference.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Aw, that's really sweet.

6. kitkat2498

Dec 29, 2010
    Just another normal day...
    Oh,look! Mealworms!!
    [​IMG]

Wait,I think there's more down here!
    [​IMG]

Nope,it was just the Chickadee cleaning. But still,fresh dirt!
    [​IMG]

And here's Miss Georgia. All ruffled up because she does NOT like the Chickadee.
    [​IMG]

What is that black thing she keeps pointing at me??
    [​IMG]

I dunno. But it keeps making clicking sounds.
    [​IMG]

Finally! A bit of sun came out to warm up the ground.
    [​IMG]

Oh,look. There she goes getting all ruffled up again.
    [​IMG]

Well,hello there,Sam!
    [​IMG]

This is honestly the closest Chickadee has ever gotten to Georgia in the past year. And she only got pecked once!
    [​IMG]

7. kitkat2498

Dec 29, 2010
    Miss Elli has a waddle! And comb, and both are red! My little baby has grown up so quickly.
    It seems like just yesterday we brought her little self home. And now she's such a big girl,even imitating Sam in the nesting box.
    Pretty soon we'll be getting four eggs a day. I can't wait! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by