The hens "have a headache"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Henrik Petersson, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    I've noticed that often when my roo tries to make love to the hens, they try to figh/shrug him off. Sometimes, he manages to mate with them, but they then chase him off afterwards. Is this something I should be worried about?

A lot of the time they just stand still and take it as well. I'd say about half the time, from what I've seen.

I should mention it's a young roo, perhaps I should say cockerel. I think he's fully grown, but his comb and wattles aren't fully developed. He has a history of being bullied by the hens; could this be about status rather than sex?

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Sounds like a roo. Hen pecked roo. [​IMG] Mine did the same thing.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Hens get annoyed with young roos constant attention. If the roo hasn't asserted his dominance it wouldn't be surprising if they beat him up for it at least occasionally.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'd say it's about status, for sure. This behavior cracks me up. I've got a SLW pullet who defends all the other girls from the cockerels. I saw him try to breed her today, and she beat him up for it. If she catches him on any of the others, she runs at him and knocks him off, and chases him away. She's my favorite, go Norma!

5. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    Okay, thanks! Good to know I don't need to put my chooks into therapy. [​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Well you know, it is just possible that there's a limit to how many times a day a hen wants to be squashed flat by a big wiggly bird with eight long sharp toenails and a beakful of her neck feathers [​IMG]

He should get a bit more suave, and the hens more accepting and/or resigned, as he matures and refines his technique.

Pat

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Quote:Well you know, it is just possible that there's a limit to how many times a day a hen wants to be squashed flat by a big wiggly bird with eight long sharp toenails and a beakful of her neck feathers [​IMG]

He should get a bit more suave, and the hens more accepting and/or resigned, as he matures and refines his technique.

Pat

[​IMG]

8. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    [​IMG]:lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by