The hidden costs of the chicken coop..!!!

tellynpeep

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 4, 2008
SW New Hampshire
I just got my new property assessment for my taxes. Holy coop, Batman!!! My little coop is appraised at $1400, and will add accordingly to my annual property taxes. Does this make sense???

I mean, I'm flattered that someone thinks so much of my little coop . But, come on.... I built it last summer, my very first ever construction project, out of mostly scrap lumber and materials. It's 8' X8' and no way could I sell it for that much money. Anyone ever have this problem????

Whoa! I'd try to have it reappraised. Maybe there's some way you could have it considered a liability rather than an asset. Or maybe it could be considered a temporary shed rather than a permanent structure. Would that make a difference in your City? Perhaps a local real estate agent or attorney might give you a bit of free advice.

Quote:
We filed an apeal with the appraisal district. Also we took all reciepts to show the actual cost which was way lower than the idiot that appraised it for a way inflated value. Be firm and forceful or they will try and give you the run around and do it in person, nit over the phone.

Here in our county in central Illinois, the only way a coop can be taxed is if it is a permanent structure, meaning it has to be on a permanent footing or be built like a pole barn building where the posts are buried in the ground. Can you move your coop either by manpower or a small tractor? If so, it's not a permanent structure. You need to check your local ordinances and definitions.

There are eyes in the sky. I can pull up a satellite image of my place, its a little outdated but still there. Here in Okie land the build has to have less than 330 square feet to NOT be considered and no permit pulled.

Luvs to garden has it right. Most tax entities now use sattelite images to re-appraise taxes. They use those images to determine sq. footage of said structure and value it as if it's a permanant structure. It's up to you to protest and have the value set at an actual value.

Another hidden cost can come in the way of property insurance. If you have outbuildings included in your coverage it will also increase your insurance premiums.

Good Luck.

Got love the goverment:( They just keep finding ways to tax us more.
somad.gif

I'd fight it.
We just bought a house in Feb, and pulled out 6 juniper bushes from the front and added a front yard veggie garden, wrought iron trellis, and planted a whole bunch of sunflowers & gladiolus bulbs. They raised our taxes because of the "land improvement"... seems like they'll get ya coming or going... I am anxious to see if they will raise ours based on the coop, now... if so, I can fight it because it is on blocks and we did it as a non permanent building...
Hope you can fight it...

Back
Top Bottom