The highest value treats?

Pics
MEAT! Make sure anything on it, spices, seasonings, is okay for them to have. Mine love steak, pork, chicken (COOKED), and any sausages. Watermelon is a good one, grapes, a whole salad that has been sitting in the fridge a little too long, not moldy or rotten though, blackberries, raspberries, grubs, worms, and yogurt (plain no sugar) is a great treat and helps re-establish good bacteria in their systems and keep them healthy. Oregano is good for them to promote respritory health. Feed it to them in scrambled egg. Oh, and forgot to mention, they love egg. Mine love it raw or cooked. To cook mine, i put an egg into some hot coals and after a bit i poke a stick into and make a hole so that it doesn't explode and then when it is ready i take it over. I wouldn't eat them this way, as they get sooty, but it is a fun way to cook eggs for chickens. I don't usually feed them good eggs raw, only if the shells are poopy, but occasionally i will give them a good one but only if they beg hard enough :)

Cool! If my roosters settle down a bit, might try to do some clicker training with them using high value treats, they are so smart. Last chickens I had learned to touch my hand with their beak, peck a ball and walk around in a circle.
Cool!

I have played with many treat types. Insects have proven handily to be the best. The bigger the better so long as not red or bright yellow. Meal worms, live are most practical owing to availability and shelf life. Freeze-dried vary greatly with respect to quality and even in the best shape are inferior to live meal worms. Larval drone honey bees in bur comb also popular but messy to work with and have short shelf life.

Back
Top Bottom