The hormones are starting....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Mar 19, 2013.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

For the last 2 days I've seen a few of my 3.5 month old Muscovy drakelets grabbing at their sisters in an attempt at mating. I was hoping it would be a little longer but.... They won't be able to accomplish much for a while, I'm just surprised that dad isn't more concerned about it. Though I haven't seen them try anything with the 4 adult females.

I've got 8 males and 5 females in that bunch.

I already have my 2 keeper boys picked out and marked. I'm keeping 1 for size and 1 who is the only one that has several white primary flight feathers (I was only planning on keeping the biggest but with all the flying about they are doing I noticed the flight feathers a few days ago). I figure I'll keep all of the girls for now. The boys will throw chocolate so I'm planning on breeding them with one of the other 2 chocolate females (not mom) to get some chocolate babies.

I'll have to wait another week or 2 to see what genders I have in my young batch.

I just have SO much that is happening right now. Ducklings and chicks just hatched within the last week or so, chicken eggs in my homemade incubator due to hatch Monday, ducks that need to go to freezer camp and I FINALLY will be starting to work for the first time since we moved up here, probably Monday. AHHH, there aren't enough hours in the day. [​IMG]

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    WOWEE and I thought I was busy!!! Good luck and don't forget to breathe!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    Have I told you lately how much I appreciate what you do here? What a handful! Several handfuls!!! (Handsful?)

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks Amiga. On top if it all, I went out to put everyone up and found 1 of my ducklets on top of the roof of their coop. [​IMG] Luckily it's only 12' at the peak so I was able to get her down. She did look happy as can be up there surveying everything. I'm think she was flying away from the boys.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by