The House Is Underway!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cjatthefarm, Oct 22, 2010.

1. cjatthefarm

cjatthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Well, we are getting going full stream ahead with the house. I believe it is 8 x 8 x 8 !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's gonna be great!!

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Don't forget lots of ventilation. You really need as much as you can get where you live. Looks good so far! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  3. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Yes! We bought 2 windows today, one for the east wall & the north wall!

Plus, we are insulating the walls as well. I have had 15 & 18 degree mornings out here! Never mind the heat!!!!

But Thanks Gallo del Cielo--that's good advice!!!

And p.s.! The babies are doing great! I read something about giving electrolytes on the third day.........everyone agree?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, not never mind the heat. 15 and 18 will not bother them if the coop is well ventilated so no humidity builds up. But over 100 can kill them. Keeping them cool and well ventilated are the keys.

No, you give electrolytes UNTIL the third day.

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    ddawn is right, don't have to worry about cold here so much, my girls loved the cold. It's June-September that's tough for us. Insulating is good for helping to keep heat from building up in the coop, especially the ceiling/roof area, but ventilation is of utmost importance here. Since you can't see the top of the roof, I'd also coat with elastomeric rubberized roof coating, it reflects most of the light back so the heat doesn't get absorbed. I'd leave most of the front side open with generous openings in the back. When it's already 115 outside, you don't want any extra heat inside. It gets so hot, some days you wonder if they are going to survive. Fortunately, I didn't loose any to the heat in my first summer with chickens in Tucson.

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:You'll want some ventilation high on both walls, other than that, it's looking good.

7. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Quote:Sorry you misunderstood my meaning, ddawn. The insulation is very much because of the heat. Guess I thought that was implied! Sorry I sounded clueless to you!! [​IMG] I have been very interested in the posts re the heat. I have learned that people freeze water bottles & fruit & provide lots of all types of melons! Plus! Misting! I'm thinking of buying a side to side water sprinkler just for the girls! IF they still make them, that is!

Thanks--'bout the electrolyte info ddawn!

8. Desert Peep

Desert Peep Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    My girls survived the heat of this summer too, thank goodness. I watered down the run area and gave them puddles to wade through every morning. And lots of cool fruit, vegetables and shade. My girls didn't like getting wet from the mister or the hose. My coop is more of an open style, and they'd still be panting at night during the brutal summer high humidity period. They really seem to like the cooler weather that we've had this past week; it's their reward (and ours too) for suffering through the blazing southern Arizona summer.

[​IMG]

9. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    p.s. After receiving ddawn's post I went back the the paper I got with the chicks from Ideal.

They give 7 helpful tips; all things repeated here. Number 7 states that after 2 days of fresh water, give 3 days of vitamin supplement(Salisbury Soluble Vitamins & Electrolytes) in the water at the recommended dosage level.

SO! I guess everyone's got a different way of doing everything![​IMG]

It is what it is I guess. Since, I don't have electrolytes of any kind right now. I will go tomorrow---which will be day 3!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I just love coop pictures .. *Sigh*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by