The humidity in my incubator is dropping.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oblio13, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have Marans eggs on day 13 in an R-Com 20. The humidity is set at 45%. It's been holding it perfectly until today. It's been slowly dropping, and is now at 36%.

I've checked the settings, made sure there's water in the reservoir, etc.

There's no tech-support number in the manual.

Any ideas? I'd sure hate to lose these eggs.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you can increase the surface area of water that would be great to get it back up.... I am not familiar with the R com series as it's way over my price budget to fiddle with one :p Low humidity like that won't hurt your hatch if it's not too long and the eggs dont dry out too much. I never check my humidity, just monitor air cell growth. Good luck!

3. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    If you do not have any humidity pillows just add a sponge (soaked in water) or two to the bottom [​IMG]
    Denna

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Get a sponge and wet it really good and stick it in there for now. You can call them at 1-888-667-7009.

Plus you could calibrate it a little lower and it will adjust it self to the setting you have set on the display. I recalibrated mine a few weeks ago it seems to be running pretty good right now.

5. Oblio13

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I've gotten it to stabilize at 38%. I suppose that's good enough, if not ideal. I have no idea how I'll be able to raise it when they start hatching.

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    You can reset the machine to factory settings and then let it run for 30 minutes and then calibrate it using your thermometer/hygrometer readings inside your machine.
    PM me if you need to know how to do it. Or if you call the number I posted above and tell them you need to reset it they can also tell you how.

7. Oblio13

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I called the 888 number, they asked me the usual questions (check the water, is the fan running, etc.), then had me simply unplug it for a few minutes. That did the trick. Thanks for coming to the rescue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by