The humor of non-chicken keeping friends.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PeiTheCelt, Sep 15, 2007.

1. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    My husband and I are in our late twenties (okay I'm 29 and he's 30, so we're on the cusp [​IMG]) with a lot of friends who don't get the whole chicken thing. They think we're kind of crazy (well, we are, but that's besides the point), but they are largely folks who grew up in urban and suburban environments and don't have a lot of experience with animals other than cats and dogs (I actually also fit that description, but have done a lot of looking into animals over the years so at least have a little theoretical knowledge that just needs experience to make it worthwhile).

So I swear on my Clover's grave (my Mothers are still alive, so.. My sweet kitty who just passed away a month ago's grave will do just fine) - this conversation is NOT made up, though I'm paraphrasing some since I don't recall the specific words, just the train of the conversation.

Cast:
    B: Good friend, lives in Washington, DC
    G: My husband

(They were talking about the chickens and why we're doing it)
    B: darn dirty hippies!!*
    G: Hey, these are eating chickens!!! Well, the eggs are and any extra roosters that need eating.
    B: You can make chicken cheese!
    G: ....
    B: What? From the chicken milk.
    G: ....
    B: Any animal with nipples produces milk for it's young.
    G: .... Uhm, B., sweetie, chickens don't have nipples.
    B: They don't?
    G: No. Eggs hatch, chickens eat chicken food.
    B: No milk?
    G: No milk.
    B: All the same, CHICKEN CHEESE!

*headdesk* LOVE my friends.. Thought you guys might appreciate this little exchange.

* "darn dirty hippies" is a long running joke between she and us, and is not in any way shape or form an actual insult on us, or anyone else who tends to lean politically to the left and aim for a slightly less commercialized life.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    People at work think I'm borderline crazy, however, when I look at my other two sisters, I can say I'm the only "normal" one!

3. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG] Some people [​IMG]

I love the ones that think they know it all... and try to tell you how to raise chickens!!! What size your coop and nests needs to be. How many nests are needed. How many roosters you are supposed to have to your hens. etc.... I could keep going but wont bore you all. Why are people like this [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    None of my friends got the whole "chicken thing"... until I started sharing eggs!

They've all thought I was crazy long before I had chickens, but they love me just the same.

5. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    [​IMG] and I thought my friends were nuts!

CHICKEN MILK now I've heard it all..........

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I tried to milk my rooster. He sorta looked at me strange but I swear
    he was smiling. [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't help myself

[​IMG]

Conservative Christian Republican Chickenhugging Hippie Environmentalist Conservationalist Guliani-ist in the Energy Industry [​IMG]

7. PeiTheCelt

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    Quote:heh, I know that feeling REALLY well. *laughs* My family makes me look positively together some days. Well, maybe it's dependent on what you think of as together.... [​IMG]

8. PeiTheCelt

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    Quote:Oh that would drive me batty.. Thankfully our friends don't try to tell us how to raise them, they just.. make silly comments like referring to chicken milk.. *snicker*

And for the dumb, the appropriate response is "Where did you find that information?" then watching them blink. [​IMG]

9. PeiTheCelt

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    Quote:Yeahhhh... Mine love us even though we're crazy (and always have been), and I do not doubt that theyll be taking advantage of the egg situation too.. *grin* But they still think we're crazy. [​IMG]

10. PeiTheCelt

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    Quote:To be fair, B. MIGHT have been kidding, MAYBE, but.... I have this sneaking suspicion based on the who conversation that it was NOT a giving you grief kind of silliness. *laughs*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by