The Incubating has begun...Update *Bad News*

turtle1173

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
SE Missouri
Well this is my first ever incubating experience. I've got a dozen Welsummer eggs that I put in the incubator at 5pm.

I've got an older hova-bator that I'm using. It's at 100 degrees with 50% humidity.

I'm very nervous about this but I guess I'll take it one day at a time. After all, what else can I do, LOL!

Do I need to start turning the eggs immediately or how long before I need to start turning?

Thanks for listening.

Shane

Last edited:
I have heard some people say not to turn on the first day. I never do either. Then start turning on day 2 and turn til day 18 then stop turning, crank up the humidity and don't open the bator til they hatch!

Good luck, Turtle...Keep us posted. Remember, it's going to be VERY difficult to candle those Welsummers. I just hatched 2 a couple of weeks ago and I swear I was NEVER sure during the entire incubation whether or not they were "good". I just left them and kept checking them for "weight loss". As long as they were getting lighter, I assumed there were chicks in there. You can either weigh them with a small food or postal scale or just hold them in your hand. You can tell if they are losing weight by day 14. They should lose about 14% of their weight by day 18. If you have a VERY strong flashlight, you may be able to see veins.
fl.gif
fl.gif

I will start turning the eggs today.

I figured the candling would be difficult. Although there are a couple lighter colored eggs in the bunch that I will try first to see if I can see anything.

This is a still air bator. The floor of the bator is 100 degrees but at the top of the eggs it is 101.5. Is this right or is it a little too high?

Also, since I put the eggs on at 5pm yesterday, is "Day 1" considered today or...??

Thanks,

Shane

OK, another question.

I have the eggs in a carton for the 1st 18 days. I put holes on the bottom so air can get up and around each egg.

Now to turn the eggs I'm just elevating one side of the carton. Then I switch to the other side. Is this OK to do?

Since the carton is raised on the one side my "top of the egg" temp has gone up. I am lowering the thermostat setting some to accomodate this.

I just want to verify that the temp I should be most concerned about is the one at the top of the egg. To achieve 101.5 at the top of the elevated side, will put me somewhere at 98-99 on the bottom grate. Is this acceptable?

Thanks again. It's going to be a long 21 days, LOL!

Shane

Dang Shane...I don't know...I don't get that technical. I have my therm/hygr.'s on the shelf with the eggs and I too use the carton method...tilting one side and then another. I wouldn't worry about the temp a few inches higher or lower. If your tilting them to one side and then the other, they'll all get the same temp air at some point. I wouldn't worry about it...just keep the temp at the level of your instruments between 99 and 101 if you can. The inside of the egg won't vary that much with a small change in temps.

Hi Gator, I guess you can tell I'm a little new at this
hu.gif

I've been on here for a few months and have read a lot of posts. Lots of positve and negative incubating experiences. Of course it is quite different when it is YOU doing the incubating, LOL.

Just trying to cover all my bases
big_smile.png

Shane

I know there are a lot of folks that will disagree with me, but I think eggs are very forgiving and do pretty well in spite of us sometime. It really seems to be a dichotomy between how fragile they are and how resilient they are.

My advice...don't fret the small stuff...have fun. There are ups and downs to everything in life and incubation is just one of them!!
smile.png

I agree with oldtimegator most definatly! There are times when it is so wonderful to see the babies hatch healthy and happy and then the times when something happens and it is sad. But I think all the good times make the sad ones a little easier. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom