The incubator I borrowed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lswatson111304, Oct 26, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    OK, here it is. I don't know anything about it. It didn't come with instructions. It is filthy, BIL had it in storage for a long time, so I need to wash it, but I'm unsure how.
    Then I need to know how to use it. I mean well it seems simple enough of how to turn it on! LOL the turner is broken, so I would have to turn them by hand. Can i use the turner racks and just turn that by hand? And how do you handle humidity. Am I supposed to put water or something in the bottom?
    Oh, the brand says little giant. and I know the heating element works because I turned it on for a few minutes. I need to get a thermometer/humidity thing though, I don't have one. Also in that third pic the little hole on top, is that supposed to be there? Should I plug it? LOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    it is just like my little giant bator except mine has a fan.

The holes are supposed to be there, there should be little red plugs with it, but they probably have been lost in storage. They can help regulate temp and humidity during hatch.

For humidity, yes you fill the bottom with water- there are water wells in the bottom, be sure to put a towel under it though.

You can also put wet rags in for humidity.

For a thermometer I use an ACUweather one like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Accurite-Large-Digital-Wireless-Thermometer/16888918 works awesome, just put the sensor inside the incubator and you can see the temp and humidity on the read out screen.

to clean the incubator I wouldn't use any harsh chemicals, you aren't going to be able to get it super clean because it is Styrofoam. I just use water and dawn dish soap on mine.

I don't have an egg turner and just turn my eggs 3 times a day.

After you get your thermometer be sure to run the incubator a full 24 hours to make sure you can keep the temp regulated. Don't be like me and run it for 2-3 hours and think that was good enough- 99 degrees and then 6 hours later I looked and it was 110! argh needless to say I didn't have a successful hatch.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Oh my. You have one of the hardest incubators for a person new to hatching (and even veterans).
    You can clean with soap and water or a 10% bleach solution
    Get a thermometer/hygrometer. I suggest you calibrate your hygrometer (there are links on here). Keep humidity between 30-40% for 18 days then you can bump to 50%. Don't plug all the holes at the end if you can help it. The chicks still need air exchange.
    You have a still air incubator. Your temp. needs to be 101.5 at egg level Make adjustments in very small increments. Those bators are very picky about temp changes and can swing wildly. You can add some ziplock bags of water to help regulate the temp before you add eggs. If you are only doing a few eggs I would leave the bags in there to help with the temp.
    You can leave the turner in there but you should take it out for hatch so the chicks have more room.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

4. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Aww man! Maybe we will end up building our own! LOL I hope I can get it to work because it will be FOREVER before my husband will be able to help me build one.

5. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Oh, also, I do have an old computer with a fan in it, is there any way to wire that up in it? Would that help my chances?

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:don't let that scare you. My first was a little giant and I would still be using it if one of my windows wasn't gone. I have a hovabator now and I HATE IT so much harder to regulate the temp in it. I would use a little giant over anything.

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    my 1st was a picky still air too. Had many successful hatches in it. You just have to watch it like a hawk (IMO). Try it! You don't have anything to loose! I wouldn't put expensive eggs in there, but everyone who hatches has to start somewhere [​IMG] It wasn't until recently that digital thermostat incubators were made affordable to most people.
    There are some posts on here about people adding computer fans to their still airs. It does help with temp. regulation. If you decide to do that then you need to bump the temp down to 99.5 - 100*.
    You can do it! [​IMG]

8. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    put an old milk cap on it like this
    [​IMG]
    it will make it much EZer to adjust the temp.

9. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Quote:interesting! Thanks!
    I can't wait to get eggs and a thermometer thingy to get started!

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I bought an LG with a fan for my first incubator with an egg turner as I wasn't sure if I was going to incubate more than once. (I know there are a lot of LG haters on BYC) but I have had many successful hatches. The price was right since I wasn't sure what I was getting into and I was pretty sure I could sell it and recoup most of my expense. I turn on the incubator the day before I set my eggs to let the incubators stabilize. I found when adjusting the temperature on the LG you have to be very careful and barely turn the temp control just a slight whisker then walk away for awhile and let it stabilize. I think most people adjust and adjust some more, but you have to walk away. The thermostat is super sensitive.The temp will fluctuate while the eggs are adjusting to the incubator temperature. Resist temptation to adjust the temp. After a few hours if you need to adjust it then do it but BARELY increase or decrease. The slightest movement of the thermostat can make a BIG difference in the temp. You can also adjust your temp and humidity to some extent by removing one or both of the red plugs on top of the incubator. Since the plugs are missing from your incubator I would suggest putting tape over the holes. When it comes time for the eggs to hatch then you should remove the tape as the eggs will need more air. There are tiny air holes in the bottom and the top for some air circulation while the eggs are incubating. I fill the reservoirs in the bottom of the incubator when I turn it on to let it stabilize. It takes hours for the eggs internal temp to come up. As for your egg turner you can buy a replacement motor quite inexpensively. I incubate in a cabinet incubator and I still use my LG and Hova-Bator styrofoam incubators as hatchers. My incubators are in a room that can be closed off from the other rooms. Just my opinion.

Here are a couple of links with instructions and a manual for your incubator.

http://www.miller-mfg.com/media/document/1/incubatoraccessoryinstructions_english.pdf

http://www.miller-mfg.com/page/1/poultry-product-instructions.jsp

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/index...ubator-spare-parts/egg-turner-motor-110v.html

http://www.eggturnermotor.org/

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by