1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The IncuKit??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Robo, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
  2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

That's neet.. A little expensive, but neet.

3. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Husband has one for the counter-top Coke fridge he used to build his quail incubator. Easy to install & works like a charm! It's been running one hatch after another for about 6 months now & still works perfectly. I believe there are 2 sizes....he has the larger. He loads the eggs, plugs in the turners, puts water in the pan...goes back to get the chicks out....never does anything else. No candling, looking in the window, checking temps,no worry....he gets a 80% - 95% hatch rate every time. Wish I could say the same! [​IMG]

4. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Go to Best Buy & get a PC fan for $10, it works just as good.

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It would be the same price or possibly even less by the time I ordered a heating element, thermostat, and bought a fan. Plus it looks like I don't have to do any wiring. I would have to order the larger one because my incubator is going to be 3x3x3.5

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have one that I use in a small styrofoam hatcher. It works great and pretty much flawlessly. I think it works best in a small container...mine is 12 X 12 X 12 which is all I need to hatch 12 or so chicks.

Ambient room temp does affect it a bit, not not enough to throw off hatching.

I think the most important piece to add is a GOOD thermometer/hygrometer...like the Brinsea for around $20.00

This is NOT just a fan...it is a heating element with a fan in front, all very neatly put together and quick as a wink to install.

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Do you think the 150 watt would hold a good temp in a 3x3x3 wooden box lined with insulation board?

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Probably. If you think a 150watt bulb would heat it (and I do) then the 150watt incu-kit should too.

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    A 150 watt bulb will heat it. How evenly do you think it distributes heat?

10. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    I get some pretty nice styrofoam containers from work so I'm going to pickup one of these eventually and make a homemade incubator, I did find out from the seller that the thermostat shaft is 1.5 inches long so if you have a very thick styrofoam contianer you might have to cut away some material to access the thermostat knob properly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by