The inhabitation of the Coopalita!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by whillo, Aug 12, 2010.

1. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    Finally got those girls out of the horse trough. It was high time!

I know we'll need to build something larger for the eight girls if I end up keeping all of them through winter. We had plans for the bigger, better and insulated coop before we got the girls but thought then, that we would be living on our property in our new home. With this economy, plans have changed, so we built the Coopalita for the interim. I do believe the girls are loving it. I know I am.
    (More pics on my page.)

[​IMG]

Actually, it still needs a few bits and pieces, like a couple latches and shingles for the roof and boxes! That will come before the rains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mmmmm, did I mention that I love hearts?! [​IMG]

Something I learned while building this coop: It is so very helpful to actually have chickens before you build so you know what kind of mess a chicken can actually make, and then plan accordingly!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Very nice. I love the heart motif. How many hens do you have?

3. whillo

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    I have 8 Luke. Four bantams and four standards. For the first couple of days they filled only half of one roost. Now they're a little more spread out but still only take up about 3/4 at the most. I'm sure they will have enough roosting space, 2 laying boxes and 4 x 8' run. We're making a 10' tractor attached to my wire dog cage that they love because it always meant treats and a chance to run around the yard. Can't wait until that's finished so I can get them back on the earth instead of the concrete and hay/sand that they have now.

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

It's really pretty! Love the hearts. I don't know if we could see all the ventilation in the pics. If so, you may want to add more.[​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Love it! I like the color and the hearts add a touch of personality.

6. Charlie'sBirds

Charlie'sBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    Montgomery County, PA
    So sweet! I want to make one just like it. [​IMG]

7. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    very pretty, inside and out [​IMG]

8. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Very pretty! Who could complain about looking over the back fence and seeing that in your yard, it is very attractive.

9. whillo

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    Yes Biffer, that's part of the little extras we need to add besides the latches and the shingles. Probably two louvered vents at the gable ends and then a bit more than we have along the front and back ceiling walls. Have little shutters for the hearts as they are at hen height when they're on the roost right now. No insulation yet either, but like I said, hopefully by the time the cold of winter rolls around we'll have them in the bigger stationary coop that we had planned for them in the beginning.

Thanks for the nice comments! Oooh, I hope the neighbors don't look over the fence. It's pretty well hidden by the trees right now and as long as I don't have a rooster in there, I should be able to keep the fact that there are more than two chickens on the property a secret for awhile. There's a moratorium on here in the city so I have a reprieve for a while if someone does complain. (Although I can hear other chickens and maybe ducks close by in the neighborhood. We live directly across the street from the county line where a rooster would be okay!)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  10. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    That looks nice! Right now I have a tractor but I am thinking of building something fixed and secure, that would look nice in the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by