The Insite on Red birds!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ThePRfan, Dec 22, 2014.

1. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I've had a people constantly get mixed on Red birds.So,I decided to make a forum about them,and why their names are their names.

First we'll start off by the PR(ProductionRed).This is actually no breed.It's name stands for A red chicken,that lays brown eggs.These type typically are nice,and not many people know why they can be so sweet,yet so rude,and moody.

Well,it is bred with RIR and NH,(NH:Newhampshire Red RIR:Rhode Island Red).Both breeds can be nice,and curious,yet both can beast,and unfriendly.Not only this both lay brown eggs, which may give you reason of why the PR lays (dark) brown eggs.And it lays these brown type

[​IMG]
    Chick relative Questions.
    The PR's chicks come out looking like mother,or father,unlike some breed..
    The Red sexlink,short for which many call a Golden nugget,Red star,golden comet,ETC.Their chicks look nothing like them,and often are (completely) different looking.
    http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608025485269470368&pid=15.1&w=135&h=99&p=0
    Roosters.
    The weird thing about sexlinks themselves is,the roosters never look like the actual colored sexlink.For say red,its roosters always white with lightish/darkish brown spots covering the wings and back.The pullet/hen actually is identified white specks all over with brown/reddish colored feathering.This why I am doing this report,because many get tantra Tints mixed up with Redsexlinks roos.
    I do not care which tub from a hatchery/feed store you got yours from,but if it is white speckled and brownish/reddish,its a sexlink,whther its from the PR tub or RIR.
    Another 1 is,people get this bird
    [​IMG](Sexlink:red)
    mixed up with this bird,
    [​IMG](PR)

Lets get to know a lil more about this so cold Rhode Island Red
    First we'll start off with their egg laying.From my experience great,and lay light brown eggs.
    You will know if you have any RIR's.Most times they are very very dark red,almost a brown colored look.
    The birds friendly,and isn't type to go broody.That is probably why any of your PR's aren't broody.
    Any details on the RIR?Yup.They also have black on them.Black on the tails,wings,and sometimes speckles on the head.
    Chicks.
    Their chicks have normally to black stripes across the wings/back,and maybe a line of back on the head/neck.Their chicks look identiicle,but you can't tell.
    Maybe we can learn about the NH?Of course!
    The mother or father of the PR.Great egg layers,never have had any broodiness.You will know if you have a NHR.The just about copy off the RIR.They are either dark orange/reddish or light yellow,and have a nice orange main.Maybe a few pics would help.(Oh and their eggs look just like the RIR)
    [​IMG](RIR)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/
    6650590/width/500/height/1000
    (NHR)
    Good luck!
    -ThePRfan

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Chicken genetics is a very interesting subject. Over the years I've had both Production Reds, which are produced by crossing two red gene parents and Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Both kinds are excellent layers, especially the Red Sex Links which are egg laying machines. I don't currently have either one in my flock, but I do have some Black Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a barred gene hen, and like the Red Sex Links, they are egg laying machines, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. :eek:)

3. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    thanks for adding that,its just so many people said NH and RIR mixed,so i was confused.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks for making this page! I bet many people will find it helpful.

5. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. Those were the two red gene birds initially crossed to breed the Production Red. Who knows what percentage of those birds that hatchery produced PRs have in them now. At some point, some breeders have even introduced a little White Leghorn into their stock in an attempt to increase their lay rate. But no matter what percentage of RIR or NH is in the Production Red, it is still a cross between 2 red gene parents, which is why the offspring are red birds as well.

6. BubbaLikesIt

BubbaLikesIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Very good subject matter. I have always been curious about two "mutt" chickens we have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've always wanted to know what mix they are because they are some of the best egg layers we have. I'm hoping one day someone will say "Hey! I got chickens just like that!" and tell me what breeds they come from. Until then, we'll just eat the eggs.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  7. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    I was planning on hatching a hen and roo of both red gene(RIR Nh)and breed for more PRs

8. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    I don't think their Full blooded or even have any PR blood,or RIR.I have saw some full bled Sexlinks (red)come out look very similar to that.They are great layers,too.
    1 thing I know is she has some.red bird gene in them

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    That will work. The offspring will carry the red genes from both parents.

10. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They are both just barnyard mixes, but they have obviously have some red gene blood in their ancestry (probably PR) which accounts for their excellent lay rate. Enjoy those eggs. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by