the intervention

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChiefZero, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ChiefZero

ChiefZero Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Ok It has been 30+ days in my incubator, pekin duck eggs. They were shaking for a while then they stopped. So I decided from all the info I read the only chance I had was to intervene. I did and no blood was really comin out. When I was done the duck was in a very little filmy layer with some veins around. Also a yolk was at it bottom. it was completely developed.
    then I was looking at it when I relized I intervended to soon! It started to open its mouth and moving! So with no knowledge of what to do I put it back in its shell and wrapped a damp warm rag around it with only its beak out. What should I do? Did I intervene to soon? also how coul it be alive and with a yolk sac so late 30-31 days?

thanks
    ChiefZero

2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Just leave it there in the towel and see if it absorbs. Mine had a blobby thing attached to it - it was brown though - and as soon as it started "crawling" it compeltely fell off.

I know it is hard! I feel for you! [​IMG]

3. ChiefZero

Jun 16, 2008
    wait so put it in the icubator without the shell and with a towel wrapped around it?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your temps and humidity I would say have been off and they are developing later than they should...Another reason I never help out, it may or may not make it ... fingers crossed for you...

5. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That is what I did and the blob fell off when it tried to crawl out.

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Good luck!

7. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    how are they now?

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

sounds like your temps were a little low. If the yolk isn't absorbed it probably wont make it, but there's always a chance. good luck, I hope it works out for you. [​IMG]

9. ChiefZero

Jun 16, 2008
    No I don't think it is but tomorrow wil tell!

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    How's the little one today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by