The Is This Trait Dominate Or Ressesive--Will It Affect Showing?

missourichickenmama

SURPRISE!
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Missouri
the top hat on my rooster is a little crooked...
13272_august2008_062.jpg
13272_august2008_060.jpg

also, is that a fault for showing? he is a silver laced polish.

><edited for title<>

Last edited by a moderator:
The trait is domeneering, however not by much force.

For example, a pure bred Polish mating with a pure bred non-crested bird will result with a smaller crested offspring.

Ex-WCB Polish was the mom, Mille Fluer d'Uccle was the dad.
Dash2.jpg

A pure bred Sultan (smaller crest) mating with a Polish will result in a chick who will grow to take on the Sultan's smaller crest.
Toss5.jpg

The trait is domiant but if you breed for a few generations, one may be able to totally rid the offspring of this trait.

As far as showing goes, I don't think the judge would find that a good example of the breed.
lol.png
A sweet looking bird, but I think the only competition your Polish would win is the bad hair day one. Although even a normal Polish could win that.
wink.png

Not sure if this anwered your question. Good luck!

definately not showable. now as crooked as his crest is it probably be best t not breed him. i have bred a bird with a crest that crooked, but here's what i did. bred the crookedcrested bird to an unrelated bird. then bred the offspring of that mating to a bird unrelated to the parents compltely, and continued to back-breed to that particular bird for several generations. Years later, despite having very littl genetically in common with the original crooked crested hen I STILL get occassional crooked and lopsided crests.

once its in there it can be very hard to get out.

I think his crest is so cute too! i was just wondering, as I will be showing in 4-H and would like to know whether or not to show him. anyway... I think he's a keeper, he is so funny!
lol.png
I love his antics!
smile.png

When you say crooked comb, how exactly do you mean? Do you mean it has a "thumbprint" that makes it fall over to one side of his head...kind of like a flop comb? Or....sorry, just trying to get a picture.

(The polish is not showable and probably shouldn't be bred...but if you have limited breeding stock for exhibition, then you do what you need to do!)

You can use just about any bird for showmanship, regardless of faults, although you should know what the faults are. With exhibition you are competing for the bird closest to the standard. With showmanship you are competing with your knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom