The Jane Goodall of Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by monaname, Dec 7, 2011.

1. monaname

monaname Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    My husband called me this morning to tell me about the "conversation" the chickens were having in the yard. And then he attempted to mimic the chatter. I had a good laugh. I wonder if anyone has actually studied the language of chickens....like they have whales or apes.....hmmmmm

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, they have. I can never find the article when I need it, but I recall reading an article about the many vocalizations chickens make, particularly the roosters. Roosters have a ton of vocalizations and each one means something different. For example, their alarm calls. A roo will give a certain alarm call for an aerial predator and a different one for a predator on the ground. He also has different vocalizations used in controlling his hens.

In the absence of a rooster the top hen starts making the same noises.

3. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Oh yeah, if you sit and watch, they have their own language. Granted it's not as complex as ours, but it's really amazing! Sit and watch for a while, watch the roosters call the hens to eat some juicy grub, listen to him call for everyone to run when a bird flies over, it's really neat [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

And if you have a Chatty Cathy Chicken in your flock, like I do (only her name is Molly and she's a Black Australorp), then you get to listen to her tell you about all the goings on in the yard and coop.

Berk. Bok bok. Bokbokbokbok bok. Berk. Bok berk. Bok bok bokbok. Bawk? Buh bok. Bok bok bok. GAWK!

I find myself responding to her with interrogatives. "Oh?". "Is that so?". "No, really?"

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  5. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Haha yeah, I have quite a few of those too [​IMG] Glad I'm not the only one that talks to his or her chickens [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I usually wait until I'm inside the coop with the door shut before I start talking to the birds.

I swear it calms them down and they all listen intently.

I just wish they'd do what I ask... and lay more eggs.

OK, I'm certified now.

CRAZY!

7. hiwasseenursery

hiwasseenursery Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
  9. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    In Sy Montgomery's book Birdology, she writes about the language of chickens how different boks mean different things. Also how they recognize each other and other little behavioral things we often overlook. It was an awesome book, plus it was informative too!

10. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    My husband and I sometimes mimic the chicken's chatter when we talk to each other, but always when we are referring to someone who is complaining about something that is not important. Kind of like Charlie Brown's teacher. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by