The Jerky Thread - That's beef, turkey, deer, etc...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by PurpleChicken, Dec 20, 2008.

1. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I wanna make some jerky with all the deer and bird meat I have.

There seems to be so many ways of doing it and so many different
    things to buy.

The easiest was appears to cut strips, flavor them, and dry them on
    racks in an oven set at 200 degree.

Then there is the grind up the meat, put the meat in the squeeze thing,
    make a strip, then dry on a rack.

Anyone use a dehrydrator?
    How about a smoker?

There is also a huge difference on how long the jerky lasts.

Suggestions please... [​IMG]

2. crazedguinea

crazedguinea Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    se pa
    my husband marinates his venison in a mix of liquid smoke, la choy lite soy sauce(the regular is too salty), and a sprinkling of montreal grill seasoning overnight. he then puts it in his dehydrator and "cooks"(dries) it until it is finished. it came out a little on the salty side, but was good-maybe a little less grill seasoning next time or less marinating time???? we don't use a specific recipe, we just sort of throw it all together and it makes each batch a bit different from the last. have fun and enjoy the results-you'll get a good idea of what to change for the next time too!

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

PC, less is more. For my terriyaki flavored I simply marinate overnight in soy sauce. For my peppered I simply marinate in soy sauce and fresh black peppercorns coursely ground. Marnate overnight and then put indehydrator. I have people that don't like jerky asking me for more. I store mine in a Foodsaver bowl with all the air sucked out and it will last a couple weeks easy. I never have had any last long enough to see when it actually will go bad. I do the strips of meat, not the ground. The key is to try to get your meat all sliced the same thickness.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    One benifit I have seen to the ground up meat version is that it is easier to eat. My oldest son just got braces and the whole meat strips are difficult. Everyone has their own recipe (and to me they are all wonderful). I have only used a dehydrator to make it and that works great (but it has been years ago). I say just experiment and come up with your own personal style and you will love it!!!! [​IMG]

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    P.C.- Scrambled Egg posted this on the Christmas crafts thread:
    I use the london broils, slice them real thin and soak them overnight in the lawry's steak and chop marinade and then put the strips on my dehydrator for 4 or 5 hours and done..very, very easy and every one fights over it

sounds very good and very easy.

6. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    we use a dehydrator and we either buy the jerky seasoning kit from walmart or we just throw seasonings together and refigerate for a few hours before dehydrating. I was wondering how chicken jerky would taste these steaks and roast are getting expensive.

7. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Thanks everyone. It seems everyone is using a dehydrator. I was trying
    to avoid another kitchen gadget because I have SO MANY.

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    We use a dehydrator and have tried it both ways - sliced and ground, and we prefer the sliced. My sister has always made her deer jerky in the oven and I actually prefer hers to ours because it's not as dry although both have excellent flavor. Just a matter of testing and tasting to find what you like best.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    PC - we use smokers here, but I don't know how it works. Just know it tastes great and seems to be fast. I'll have dh check in here to give you some info on what he does.

10. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    So far from what I have read smoking it makes it last longer since
    smoking preserves it. Dehydrating leaves more fat which can spoil
    unless refridgerated but I can see why dehydrating tastes good and
    is less dry.

We want a smoker anyways so I'l looking forward to hear what your
    hubby has to say Jody.

Thank you everyone for all the info!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by