The Jersey GIANT!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenGurl15, Feb 13, 2015.

1. ChickenGurl15

ChickenGurl15 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2015
    Bailey, Colorado.
    Hey Everyone! Can you upload some pics of your Jersey Giant eggs, chicks, roosters or hens? And maybe add some facts? Im dying to know about the breed, my family ordered 9 chicks (all of them are different breeds) that will be coming in June. I picked a JG rooster, because for one, i heard they are very docile birds, and two...i cant bare to get a hen, get attached, and then have to kill it and eat it after it stops laying :s. Please share your JG stories and names as well :) Thanks SO much!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. ChickenGurl15

Feb 11, 2015
    Bailey, Colorado.

3. ChickenGurl15

Feb 11, 2015
    Bailey, Colorado.
    Are the jg chicks bigger than all other usual chicks? I know their eggs are bigger, lol.

4. ChickenGurl15

Feb 11, 2015
    Bailey, Colorado.
    Please keep the comments coming!!
    [​IMG]

5. mathewmarie

mathewmarie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    I have black jersey giants and i love em. We are having a rough winter so i am only getting 3 eggs per day from 10 hens but i expect that to improve when the weather breaks.

I have 2 roosters one is like twice as big as the other. The big one is docile, the small one has been taught not to chase my kids (wink).

Gonna try hatching some babies soon. I am psyched. Jersey giants may not be a farmers dream (feed cost, big poops, slow growth) but i love them as dual purpose family friendly birds.

6. ChickenGurl15

Feb 11, 2015
    Bailey, Colorado.
    I heard that they are wonderful birds, hearing this news makes me want June to come even faster!! I also love their size, i know my parents and siblings will tease him calling him a "ostrich", lol. One question, Some of the other chicks we got, (all girls) look like the JG as babies. The australorp chick looks just like the JG chick, is there a way to tell them apart? Is the JG chick bigger than all the other chicks?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  7. mathewmarie

mathewmarie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    I never had Australorps but i am told they can be tough to distinguish at any age. I think JGs have orange on the soles of their feet but if you have both birds you'll wanna mark them

8. ChickenGurl15

Feb 11, 2015
    Bailey, Colorado.
    Oh, we also got a Dominique. So the Dominique, the Australorp, and the JG look all the same as chicks, lol. I guess I'll have wait until he is older so i can see his comb, and hear him crow. (we are getting him this harmless, velcro collar that holds a part in a roos throat from extending to crow. The collar is called a "cock~a~doodle~don't" lol, because we have picky neighbors.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  9. ChickenGurl15

Feb 11, 2015
    Bailey, Colorado.
    Anyone? Neeed help please...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by