The joys of fall predators

Daphne_loves_mealworms

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 13, 2018
Vermont
Do you ever feel like your birds are surrounded and under constant attack from wildlife? Kind of feeling that way right now. We have our usual suspects: the countless raccoons (who all reproduced in spring, one with 4 fat babies), the resident bobcat (who has killed before), foxes, coyotes, skunks, etc. Well, we now have the addition of migrating hawks (far more than usual + larger and more aggressive species), plus the local black bear slowly making his way back to his den and eating everything and everyone on the way.

On a random note, the neighbors cat killed and left a weasel right by the barn door where the ducks sleep. What a nice guy! Anyways, we always look for ways to improve safety, and have kept our otherwise defenseless ducks safe for almost 5 years. However, it just seems like a matter of time before they all have their heads ripped off by something. :barnie

Autumn is brutal. We had a near miss hawk attack 2 days ago. I was sitting RIGHT there too. I wish I had my dog, because I think he would have stopped it.

I didn’t see visible wounds and she’s her sassy self. She also laid an egg today so I’m hopeful, she’s going to be just fine.

Sadly, in the fall is when I usually lock them in their run, but give them tons of activities. I’ll try and let them out in the evening when we’re all out there and it’s close to bedtime, but it’s so hard finding the balance of wanting them to have their best chicken life, but also protecting them. Especially in times where literally all of their predators are in full force.

Autumn is brutal. We had a near miss hawk attack 2 days ago. I was sitting RIGHT there too. I wish I had my dog, because I think he would have stopped it.

I didn’t see visible wounds and she’s her sassy self. She also laid an egg today so I’m hopeful, she’s going to be just fine.

Sadly, in the fall is when I usually lock them in their run, but give them tons of activities. I’ll try and let them out in the evening when we’re all out there and it’s close to bedtime, but it’s so hard finding the balance of wanting them to have their best chicken life, but also protecting them. Especially in times where literally all of their predators are in full force.
I know what you mean...I feel so guilty having to lock them up in the run for the winter, but it's for their own good. This spring I am planning on caging/fencing the area around their run and providing some sort of coverage above so as to prevent ariel attacks.

I know what you mean...I feel so guilty having to lock them up in the run for the winter, but it's for their own good. This spring I am planning on caging/fencing the area around their run and providing some sort of coverage above so as to prevent ariel attacks.
That’s a good idea! I was thinking about that. Some type of contained “free range” area but they are protected. It’s just so hard losing them

I hope that your hen recovers without issues! We also had a near miss a couple of days ago. I no longer free-range (since the bobcat ”incident” of 2021), but I do take my ducks on foraging walks. I was 10(?) feet away when a hawk flew over my head from behind and swooped down at my ducks. Luckily, they saw it before I did and dove against the side of their “duckio”. The hawk had to pull up to prevent itself from crashing so I was able to get the girls to safety.

I agree that it is hard to find the balance between a happy fulfilling bird life and one that is fully 100% safe. I miss being able to free-range my girls, and hope that they find their foraging walks to be “enough”.

I hope that your hen recovers without issues! We also had a near miss a couple of days ago. I no longer free-range (since the bobcat ”incident” of 2021), but I do take my ducks on foraging walks. I was 10(?) feet away when a hawk flew over my head from behind and swooped down at my ducks. Luckily, they saw it before I did and dove against the side of their “duckio”. The hawk had to pull up to prevent itself from crashing so I was able to get the girls to safety.

I agree that it is hard to find the balance between a happy fulfilling bird life and one that is fully 100% safe. I miss being able to free-range my girls, and hope that they find their foraging walks to be “enough”.
Oh I’m so sorry, but glad everyone is ok. I cannot even think about how cute those little walks must be!

The hawks have zero fear. Real jerks. Go circle of life wild birds not the ones we love 😂

I wanted to let them out this afternoon right before bedtime, but my husband said just leave them. And I know he’s right, but I know they are chomping at the bit to get out. Especially our Guinea hens.

Whomever comes up with the perfect balance of free ranging and safety deserves a million dollars!

Back
Top Bottom