1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The kid next door

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by magikchick, May 12, 2007.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Benjermin is about 8 years old and lives next door to me. Yesterday he came running up to me with two eggs in his hands. He wanted to know if one of my chickens could hatch out these eggs for him. I explaned that no my chickens were too young you would need to get an incubator for that. Then we went thru what an incubator was. You could just see his face fall when he relized it wasn't all that simple.

When I do have a hen set I'm going to get him envoled in it. Maybe have a future chicken fan here.

Marsha

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awww....thats cute...wonder if his parents would let him have a few chickies!?

3. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    They might or I could teach him how to take care of mine for thoes time I go away.[​IMG]

Marsha

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    That's good thinking! Way to go and interest a young child in taking care of a backyard flock!

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:That is a great idea. It teaches him responsibility and you don't have to worry about your animals when you're gone.
    I give the girl next door some money to take care of our three dogs, two horses and Lord knows how many chickens. She's always willing to do it for us because she loves animals and she likes the extra money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by