The KING of all eggs- Holy Moly !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heathersboers, Dec 20, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Went out to the coop today and what did i find- This HUGE moster of an egg that my cornish X pullet laid!!! It is 3 X the size of a normal egg. here it is-and in the bator it went just out of curiosity. This is by far the biggest chicken egg I have ever laid my eyes on-betting its a double yolker-we shall see- If it is -can it hatch??

[​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Wow...are you sure it isn't a triple-yoker? That egg is H-U-G-E!

3. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    i dunno how well it would hatch. the egg gets quite cramped from the two embryos. and if they do hatch i have heard they die soon after hatching.. but i haven't been here for a while to hear any new stories on them. maybe someone else has better outcomes.

4. CountryBoy007

CountryBoy007 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    Wow that is huge ive had similar i had Britain hens that looked like roosters and had 3 or 4 yolks in there eggs they laid about two a week.
    And i can answer your hatching questions, the hatching will not occur one egg only has enough naturally vitamins to support one birds life, the egg will not hatch , sorry!, Ive tried it before too haha

5. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    if there are two yolks there are enough vitamins for two birds. and they have hatched before.. just not with great results. or they die before they get out of the shell cuz there is only one air sac for one bird.

So, it can be done.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    You are likely wasting your time setting it.

I'd definitely candle it though. If it's a triple yolker or better I'd take photos.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] HUGE!!! I would candle it to see if there are two or more yolks before setting it. If it is just one, I can tell you it will be a HUGE chick. I had a big egg in my last hatch and the chicks name is Gigantor.

8. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Poor chicken. OUCH!!![​IMG]

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    [​IMG] WOW!

10. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Maybe the neighbors ostrich got loose?!?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by