The ladies at 4 and 5 wks old.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cbrown86, Apr 6, 2011.

1. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Now, I've asked a few times... What breeds do you think these are? And are they girls?

[​IMG]
    Socks is about 5 wks old.
    [​IMG]
    Socks again.
    [​IMG]
    This is Berta (or Red), who is about 4 wks old.
    [​IMG]
    I think she is my prettiest. (SHHH, don't tell the others!)
    [​IMG]
    Black Betty, 4 wks.
    [​IMG]
    Black Betty is no longer solid black. lol
    [​IMG]
    Soot, 4 wks.
    [​IMG]
    This is the one who hurt her foot, so we became good buddies while she healed.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cute chicks. Sorry I don't know the breeds. Also, I'm glad Socks is a unisex name, because I believe you have yourself a baby roo. [​IMG]

3. cbrown86

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I'm afraid of that... It is very dominant. She (he?) attacks the other chicks and ducks. And pecks me when I feed em. BUT, she was also the first one we got so maybe she is just territorial or something... [​IMG] I wouldn't mind if she was a roo, but we got em for eggs. LOL.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, but having a roo is a good thing 99% of the time; especially if you intend to free range at all. A roo adds a whole 'nother dimension to a flock. I won't ever be without a roo and yes, I do eat and sell the fertilized eggs. [​IMG]

5. cbrown86

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    My hubby said he won't eat fertilized bc my little brother said he found sperm in one once. [​IMG] Is that even possible?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by