The last 2 eggs in the incubator...**Update Post 10**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cricketmt, Mar 25, 2015.

1. cricketmt

cricketmt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Montana
    Yesterday afternoon, we realized that the 4th of 5 had pipped, but it was in the wrong end of the egg. There was an itty bitty tan patch that borders a tiny little air hole, so I convinced the 16 year old, whose science project this is, to hold off on it overnight--to give the yolk a chance to absorb etc. and so on.

Having slept on it over night--and had nightmares about it, I texted a good friend who works at the Gladys Porter Zoo in Texas. She works with the birds, has her vet-tech license and has hatched out many many birds. She called right away and recommended that we enlargen the pipped area to determine where the head was. She then recommended that we unzip the shell and start working on the membranes....watching closely for bleeding. So my daughter and I stayed home from work and school today to doctor the obviously malpositioned baby.

Can I just applaud you people who do this all the time? hatching I mean? This was so incredibly stressful and scary.we had one what I would consider moderate bleed, stopped everything, put it back in the bator with a damp washcloth around him. Waited 4 hours. Meanwhile he's thrashing his beak and cheeping periodically...so we knew he was still alive and trying. How could we do any differently???

So we worked up our courage and hit it again. We actually went from just his little beak sticking out to exposing his right leg and foot, head and right wing...My friend said it's malposition #6, head over right wing. He's about 1/2 way out, is lifting and stretching his head and neck, stretching out the foot and leg. We put him back in the bator for a while to see if he can work himself out the rest of the way.

I feel like I need a massage and a shower and a scotch all at once.

[​IMG]

This is where we started about an hour ago finally.

[​IMG]

This was where I stopped and put him back in the bator

[​IMG]

He keeps stretching out his foot and moving his head. His down is so long that some from his head was stuck to his leg and until we loosened that couldn't move his head.

Hopefully he survives this craziness. :(

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] Come on little guy!! Or girl!!! Maleposition #6 is the most common position. Almost 50% of malpositioned chicks are in that position. My last hatch I had a malpositioned #5 which is the second highest at around 20%. Her foot was up over her head and rested on her beak...lol When I enlarged the pip hole to check positioning I was met with a beak and toes....I knew she wasn't getting out w/o help so we-and by we I mean, 'I' started the assisted hatch. I did about a quarter of a zip at a time and replaced her to the bator to rest and try on her own. I think I had about 3/4 unzipped before it was loose enough that she could get her legs back down. Once her legs were down and she could reposition herself she finished teh job. She is now a beautiful black pullet. 20 weeks old. Hoping soon to see some eggs from her and the other 4 girls from that hatch.

1 person likes this.
  3. cricketmt

Mar 22, 2015
    Montana
    Thanks....we got a bit more membrane moved back and saw a bit if yolk sac so returned it to the gator for the night.b fingers crossed!

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

5. cricketmt

Mar 22, 2015
    Montana
    Yolk was absorbed fully and he was separated from the rest of the shell this morning. He's very tired but cheeped a bit and wiggled when I moved his poor head out from under the thermometer. We went ahead and moved him to a heated box for the day while we're gone. He doesn't look malformed, and was wiggling toward the cooler end of the box when we last looked in on him.

Can I just say again, most stressful thing! Right up there with the two days I gave birth myself and the day I sent my hubby off to a war?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If you have any sav a chick electrolyte that might help him out or a little bit of sugar water.

7. cricketmt

Mar 22, 2015
    Montana
    We don't, but I'll see if I can find some today. If I can't I'll get some sugar water together and see if he'll take some.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    TSC usually has it.

9. cricketmt

Mar 22, 2015
    Montana
    We don't have a TSC, but we do have the place we got the bantams from so I'll look there.

1 person likes this.
  10. cricketmt

Mar 22, 2015
    Montana
    **Update**

My husband had to run home to get his phone...he just messaged that the baby didn't make it. :( I'm sad and trying to figure out how to tell my daughter before she rushes home to check on him after school.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by