The Last Egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by featherz, Aug 22, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Doesn't that sound ominous? [​IMG]

Anyways, I candled all my eggs after the hatch yesterday and with the exception of one egg, they were goners as far as I could tell. No movement, obvious blood floating around, no veins, etc. One had a really weird spot in the airsac that looked like it was about to go BOOM. [​IMG]

However, one egg MAY have showed some movement when I tapped it so I stuck it back in the bator with my last two drying chicks. I thought it might have been a light trick so better to be safe than have a 'trashcan chick'. The other eggs from the same batch hatched on day 19/20 and this is day 22.

Candled it today (keep in mind it had unstable humidity and such because I didn't really think it was alive and I had to work on my two chicks getting egg yolk off and such).. and it's MOVING for sure! No peeping at all, no pip - I thought it had pipped this morning but it was a trick of the light and a piece of stuck eggshell. [​IMG] Any reason why this one would be almost three days behind? does it have a shot? I'll keep it in there until I see no movement but it has not pipped internally that I can tell and is not peeping. Just sloshing around in there so it's CONSIDERABLY behind. Maybe it's an alien. [​IMG]

I'm guessing it's not shrinkwrapped since it's able to move?

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Egg still hanging in there. Go chickie go! I don't have much hope really since it's been in and out of the incubator, but if one can hatch in a trashcan, maybe this one can too!

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    See I'm like you. I always pull out the last ones of the hatch to check when the others have been hatched for a good little while and so far it hasn't disappointed. I know there CAN be late bloomers but I have found that my heat in my bator is pretty consistent and if they are going to hatch they will within a day of the others. If it's still moving there is hope though! I would try my best to leave it alone...humidity shouldn't be a real issue yet if it's not pipped yet but maybe add some moist paper towels just to increase it in case? Good luck and show up pics when he/she makes their debut!

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    well, the chick didn't make it but at least I know why now.. I finally opened the egg after seeing what looked like a dark shadow in the aircell but no pipping or peeping and a lot less veining. Poor little thing expired shortly after I opened the egg (just opened the aircell not the membrane until I saw his little lifesigns stop.

There was NO blood nor was he shrinkwrapped. He was positioned all wrong to pip with his rear facing up and his beak tucked so far in I don't know how he was going to get anywhere! I think he would have died shortly after anyways as the veins were all but gone and he was nowhere near pipping. Not only that, his belly was completely flat so I think he was running out of yolk. No peeping either. Just a lil guy who wasn't arranged correctly. [​IMG]

Ah well, I gave him a chance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by