The last few days...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wjallen05, Feb 22, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Ok, I made it to day 18! I have a couple of questions if you wonderful folks don't mind helping me out.

I put the eggs in the bator on the 4th, making hatch day on the 25th (I believe) and this day 18. I have turned them religiously 4 times a day since day 2 and I have 19 good ones out of 27 (6 were infertile, 2 died after a week and some days). I did turn the eggs this morning. Should I turn 3 more times today making Mon, Tues, and Weds no-turn days and Weds being hatch day?

I also had some concerns about the humidity. I have one vent open, and the temp at 98. I have the moister ring filled, and also FOUR wet rags and a cup of water and the highest I can get it to go is 60%, but now it's back down to 55%. Is it vital to have the humidity at 70%? Should I buy some sponges and try that? Also, do I HAVE to have both vent plugs open? Because that would make it even harder to get the humidity level up.

Thanks in advance!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Why don't you just put the other vent plug in? That should help your humidity. Yes, go ahead and turn them today and stop after tonight. Good luck!

3. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Why don't you just put the other vent plug in?

I thought I had to have atleast one, if not both, open at the end because they needed more oxygen?​

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    That would probably be ideal, but there are other holes in the incubator. I usually plug mine if I can't keep the humidity up b/c oxygen doesn't do any good if they can't get out! Or you could just try putting tape over 1/2 of it, so that there's still some air flow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by