The Last Meal..........(so to speak)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Grampa with chickens, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    When you are getting ready to process a bird. Is there steps to get the bird ready. I mean as far as feeding it. I thought I read somewhere that you should feed it a certain diet but for the life of me I can't find it again.

I'll be processing egg laying/ dual purposes roos.

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I remove feed 24 hours before I butcher so the digestive tract is clean. They can have access to water.
    I put my meat chickens on scratch grain and grass 10-14 days before slaughter.

3. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What is the purpose of scratch grains and grass 10-14 days before slaughter? Is this in additional to chicken feed?

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I remove the commercial chick feed, I can only get medicated feed and I want that out of their system. Therefore, I need to feed something, so I choose the scratch and grass. The last two weeks I put up a temp. fence in the front of the brooder shed and they have access to grass that way. In my opinion the birds fed on scratch, cracked corn and grass taste better. Some will say it's in my head but I can honestly taste a difference.
    I have not done it but if you have the room try one batch on chick starter until butchered and follow my method on the other batch and see if you can tell.

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    My meat birds I fed flock raiser the whole time. They did great and the meat tasted fantastic. I just bought 25 more babies last week they are out in pen running around now.

6. 12 hours before slaughter we remove feed and give lots of fresh water with some molasses in it to encourage drinking, it cleans out their systems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by