The last Meaties of the year in the Freezer - Finally Done

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Nov 30, 2010.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I butchered my last batch of meaties on Saturday. I had 70 of them to do, and with some help from my 5 year old and my wife, we managed to get them done in under 5 hours. We ended up netting 308 pounds of meat, which put the average weight at 4.4 pounds each. They were all pretty close in weight, which is surprising for straight run. The biggest one was right at 6 pounds and I had a few a shade under 4 pounds, but the rest stayed very close to the 4.4 pound average. We have done over 600 this year, and this was the only batch we kept very many, so it was nice to put some meat in the freezer.

So now, no more meaties until Spring. It's going to seem different not having to tend to them anymore. We have had meaties on our farm since March 5th, so it will be a change of pace for sure. What am I going to do with all my spare time........get ready for next year. Winter projects - Tractors to fix and modify, build an additional tractor, build a larger brooder, work on a scalder made from a hot water heater, paint my tractor running gear. I guess there goes all my extra available time. LOL

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    What do you do with them all?

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by