The Last of Our First Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chazwork, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Chazwork

Chazwork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Today is a sad day! Today I buried Buffy, the last of our original flock. There was no rhyme or reason for her departure, she was just laying in the run next to the food dispenser this morning. Buffy was only 5 years old, a beautiful golden tan orpington. Any time she would see us coming outside she would come running for a pet , she liked being pet and always excited about getting scratch and kale. Despite being attacked by our dogs, thats right, no matter how many fences or how tall those fences are, the grass is always greener and the bugs are always bigger on the other side and dogs will be dogs. Buffy was one of our best layers. I will miss greeting her every morning, holding her and stroking her feathers. Buffy now lies in repose with oriental iris at her head and a bag of scratch at her beak.. She will be missed!

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Five years is an old bird for most birds. She had a good life, and you do miss them.... and now is a great time to get chicks!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How sad! These sudden deaths can rattle us for sure. Sounds like you honored her life in a very loving, respectful manner. Truly a tribute to her short time on this earth. Very sorry for your loss.

4. Chazwork

Chazwork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Thanks for your thoughts. It is time for new chicks, we have 8 new babies that are going on about 6 weeks old. They will be going out with our remaining 5 chickens in about 3 more weeks. love my chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by