The latest addition..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bayouchica, Jun 12, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Here's the newest part of our coops.I believe my hubby said it is about 250 sq ft of floor space.
    It's got three doors, two human & one chicken door [​IMG]
    This one has cost the most than the others, having to buy alot of the wood & we put extra cattle panels for support. The other coops were made from mainly recycled materials.
    We going to buy some tin when we can afford it so we just put some rolled roofing on for now.There is a little bit of old tin on the very top.
    There is a cypress log in center & supported with a stainless steel disc bolted together at the bottom. The metal "I" beams are going to be the roof.
    [​IMG]
    The chicken wire is covering the coop from top to bottom,we put some cattle panel in under the roof.
    [​IMG]
    Now all we need is a little more roofing material.
    [​IMG]
    It's kinda cool , looks like a yurt.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking, Miriam

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I'd have to say that is the best looking chicken coop ever -wish I could have one. Of course , if my winters weren't so cold and snowy I'd be able too. It really is an awsome coop!

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

now THAT is a cool looking coop! Thanks!

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Very creative!

5. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    fabulous design mate...I would never have even thought of something like that! Great use of space and looks fantastic also.

6. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

That IS cool -I especially like the first pic showing the roof rafters before they were raised. Very clever, and a great use of available materials! [​IMG]

7. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Thanks yall, I have to give all the credit to the old man LOL ! He did all the design, I gave him a few pointers to make it chicken friendly. [​IMG]
    here's a link from awhile back there's a slideshow, with pics of the inside of the big coop if yall want to see. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=242

I came across this old pic the very first coop, three years ago. yeah,chickens are addictive. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks everyone, Miriam

8. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Man that is cool. Not only do I want the coop but I want those trees as well. WHere on the world are you?

9. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Alleyoops25 , I'm in northeast Louisiana extremely rural part. [​IMG] Live on a bayou,that's spanish moss in the trees.
    I think we have two oaks & a sweet gum in the coop yard. Two of the coops have trees in them LOL! The third pic down you can see the sweet gum tree . [​IMG]
    My hubby even ran electricity to it & I have fans blowing in the summer.Next we going to run some water out there & maybe hot water too.
    I tell ya thank goodness we had all this stuff just laying around cause we sure couldn't bought all that.
    thank you so much,Miriam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by