The lead sled - pictures included

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hammy Skillet, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Hammy Skillet

Hammy Skillet New Egg

Apr 2, 2009
    I’ve been working on this for a bit - visiting this website and reading stuff to try and get a feel for what I need, ‘cause I‘ve never had chickens before. It’s actually a tractor. At least that was the plan. Right now a good name for it would be the lead sled, because of the extreme weight. But, I think if I put detachable wheels on the back, I’ll still be able to scoot it around.

[​IMG]

The coop is 4 by 4. The run is 8 by 4. It’s just barely big enough for 4 chickens, but that’s all I want.

[​IMG]

Obviously I borrowed the whole setup from those chick-n-barns. I worked on my own design - a kind of pyramid shape with an enclosed run below it - but it just wasn’t that practical. I thought this had a look I could live with and was certainly functional.

[​IMG]

The small door on the back pops off for a clean out. Just place a bucket or shallow wheelbarrow below it to catch all the composting goodness. Below that, the fencing in the back is stretched over a removable frame to let the girls out if you wish, or allows you to throw some choice morsels in there that are too large to drop through the gaps in the wire and enables cramped access for crawling humans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inside isn’t much to see. A roost runs full length one side, and two nest boxes are situated up high on the other. The roof of the nest boxes is actually the roof of the coop - just swing it up to access. The threshold of the door is about three inches above the floor, making room for a layer of woodchips or whatever.

[​IMG]

Finally. A picture of the coop without the run attached. The cost was probably around 120 dollars or so.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I think it looks great! Very functional too, it sounds like!

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Also welcome to BYC! Glad you are posting! [​IMG]

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Very cute. You might want to consider some paint on the interior -- it would lighten it up inside and make it easier to clean. Prime first (maybe even two coats as I see you've got some OSB on the floor) and use an exterior paint. You've got a really sweet tractor there!

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG]

6. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    That's a work of art [​IMG]

So, do you do people houses or only chicken houses? [​IMG]

7. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Great job, that would look good in any backyard.

8. J&KV

J&KV Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    West Georgia
    That's a neat looking coop![​IMG] Our "tractor" coop weighs a lot itself and hard to move even with wheels attached. Great job on your coop.

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It's beautiful and so classy! I expect to see hens in kimonos!

10. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    Looks really great. I just finished my coop about a month ago and I have two suggestions-put some stick on vinyl tiles on the floor of the coop. It will make it much easier to clean-light colored tiles work better. You can see if have any mites or lice running around. Also, from the way the picture is taken it looks like the roost pole is a bit too narrow for full size chickens. I think it needs to be about 3-4 inches in diameter for their comfort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by