The Les Stroud of Chick Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepinglaura, Apr 17, 2009.

1. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    My hen kicked an egg out of her nest that didn't hatch. After it had been abandoned for about 6 hours, I decided to candle before tossing it and saw movement. It was much earlier in development. Another chicken must have somehow contributed an egg while she was nesting. I tossed it in the incubator, which was stone cold and tkes a while to heat. Then the humidity bottomed out. Because I didn't know its age, (and I misjudged based on candling) I was actually turning it manually when it began to peep. I shut the incubator door, jacked the humidity, and waited for the hatch. For 2 days this gaffer struggled to hatch, and it's here! Survivor Chick! [​IMG]

LAura

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    pictures???

3. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    I think I'll have to ppost a pic, because it's sooo cute. It appears to be half silkie, which makes this hatch more amazing still- we have one little silkie roo which didn't seem to be getting any respect from the ladies... It's all round quite a surprising event! [​IMG]

Laura

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    How cool! You should see if you can email a pic to Les Stroud, along with the story. I bet he'd get a kick out of it. (I love his show, BTW.)

5. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Awesome!!! Soooo... Where are the pics?!?![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by