The lesson of the day!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mommyofthreewithchicks, Nov 29, 2010.

1. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    So my Daughter, Rachael is very excited about getting the eggs. The other day she helped me in the coop and the first thing she did was gather the eggs-4. Then she helped me feed the chickens and since we have a rooster that is proving to try and be naughty I caught him and was holding him and also made her hold him. (mindful I did not know she had already collected these eggs and they were in her coat pocket [​IMG] ) Then we proceeded to put out scratch for everyone. After which she put her hand in her pocket and came out with yolk [​IMG] And looked at me with a surprised look on her face.

We ran to the house and pulled off her coat which I rinsed right away but thought I had only found one broken shell and two intact. Looked at her and said "uh oh" Her dress had a wet spot -"mom it is only water" Me-"no pretty sure that would be egg". Stripped off that layer to her pants and there still is a wet spot again she stated that it was just water- "um nope you broke an egg there and that would also be egg" So now the kid is in her underwear and she tells me the good news. "Mom, Good news, My underwear is not wet!" [​IMG] "yes dear that, is good news" [​IMG] Got to love little girls.

Next day I found the tiniest egg ever and had to ask Rachael if that was one of the eggs she had found- turns out one of our younger flock has started laying [​IMG] But what a way to find out.

I had to share the story I am still giggling over. [​IMG]

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hey that IS good news... I'm grateful for each and every piece of laundry I don't have to wash.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I love pocket omelettes. Over the years I have accidently made anywhere from 1 egg to 7 egg pocket omelettes. If my pockets were clean(ish) I just dump the crushed contents into a bowl, then wash whatever I was wearing. The contents of the bowl are picked through to remove any shell pieces, then cook.

Matt

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Oh yeah! I loved collecting eggs when I was a pip squeak. Man oh man did I get upset when I saw my dad breaking them for a hot frying pan!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by