The Life of Fauna

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nixon's Chicks, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Nixon's Chicks

Nixon's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Western Mass
    Today, marks the end of Fauna’s time in our flock. She was 6 years, 24 days old. I know this because I was there when she and the other 2 fairies hatched. We bought eggs from renowned Jersey Giant breeder, Tim Johnson and they did not disappoint. The trio was the 3 fairies from Sleep Beauty. They had 5 brothers as well, who we were fortunate enough to find a home for on a farm in Greenfield, with 60 hens who needed their protection.

Fauna was different from the beginning. After everyone hatched, we banded them. So we know the chick who ended up being Fauna was the one with the twitches. She would shake her head often. We did some research and it seemed that she was dehydrated. So, my husband would sit there and feed her water with an eye dropper ~6 times a day. After 5 days, the twitching stopped and Fauna was behaving like the rest of her siblings.

Fauna lived a long and prosperous life. She lived in 3 towns. Fought off foxes and birds of prey and won. Because really, a 10.2 lb Jersey is not one to mess with. (We figured out what we were doing wrong and haven’t lost a bird to a predator in 4 years) She also raised some adopted fertile eggs the first time she went broody. This got her the name of ‘death star’, since she would puff up into a very large black ball anytime anyone came near her chicks.

Fauna was fine until I found her this morning. Her comb and waddle colors were great yesterday. She was her normal, boisterous self. She was eating scratch out of my hand 2 days ago. While I do not know the cause of her death, my vet did warn me that I should be prepared once they start getting to 6 years.

My point to this information is this: people’s definition of ‘the strongest’ cannot be determined at chick stage. I’ve seen many mentions over the years of people putting chicks in the process of hatching into a bucket of water if they haven’t hatched in ~4 hours. Chicks like Fauna are eliminated in a number of ways when really they only need a little bit of help.

Aside from being one of the personality queens and teaching the younger pullets how it rolls, Fauna was a most wonderful part of our flock and she will be greatly missed.

Please think twice before deciding that a chick is not strong enough. He or she is more likely to surprise you.

Long live my 3 fairies, in life and in memory.

1 person likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm so sorry you've lost your Fauna [​IMG]

I can tell she was a treasured member of your flock and will be missed.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I am so sorry about Fauna's passing - it certainly sounds like she lived a full life in her time with you

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I meant to ask...the 3 fairies in Sleeping Beauty were Flora, Fauna and Merryweather (one of my favorite Disney movies). Do you still have the other 2?

[​IMG]

5. Nixon's Chicks

Nixon's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Western Mass
    Thank you all for the condolences. Merryweather passed away last year under different circumstances. She did have a necropsy and was found to have had an infected oviduct. Flora is still alive and in my flock. Oddly enough, the 3 fairies are the big black girls in my profile pic. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by