The light burned out!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChucktheChick, Mar 22, 2013.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    When I turned my eggs last night at about 9:30pm, everything looked as good as can be. My eggs are om day 13, and the incubator light went out last night early in the morning. I am devastated! Ive never had this happen in any of my hatching years. I wasn't to disappointed until I felt the eggs! They were cool! The temp went down to 83°. Will they be ok?!?!?!!?'?!?!?!?!?!?

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Well Chuck, ya never know until you put a new light in, heat them up & candle in a few days. Actually the little buggers are tougher than most people realize

3. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    thank you for a quick response! I guess I am just very nervous right now. The temp is about 94!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOO

4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I think they will be fine. With a resent batch of eggs I was rearranging the trays and set one on the floor. I totally forgot about it until the next day and it was probably about 50 degrees in the room that night. I just candled them (it happened at day 2 or 3 and they are now on day 14) and most are doing great. I think I did lose a few due to it, but not that many. Your temp. difference wasn't that extreme so I bet they are fine.

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    What's already been said. ;)

I think the most useful thing I ever read about incubating was when I started studying how it's been done historically... and how it's still done in areas of the world without reliable electricity. In some parts of India, they heat bags of rice in the sun during the day, and then layer batches of eggs between bags of rice. Every so many hours, they switch out the sun-heated bags for the cooling ones in the "incubator" (which is generally a large barn-like structure of some sort).

Remembering this helps me to calm down about the minor mishaps along the way with my incubator.

I DO think I get higher hatch rates when everything goes smoothly--steady temp, good humidity levels, adequate turning, etc. But it's not devastating when one thing or another goes wrong.

:)

6. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Thanks everyone! Just candles and there was tons of movement! Yay! Only 2 out of 12 are not doing anything. Thanks :)

7. LauraNJ

LauraNJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    That is great!. Fingers crossed the 10 hatch out and no more incubator issues!

8. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    thank you! Me too. I hope I can at least get 6! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by