The little broody coop stinks.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Standard Hen, May 6, 2008.

1. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I just went out to collect eggs and checked on my broody who is separate in her own little dog coop. I has two doors and one has screen on it which I have removed the plastic for the warmer weather. So plenty of ventilation. When I opened the side door the smell was awful! It was very warm today and the sun is on the house part of the day. I did see a broken egg off to the side but I think that was there when I locked her in. If from when I saw her sitting on the nest the chicks will be born May 17th. Do they continue to poop and all when broody,,,the waterer and grain does not even look like it has been touched. Will she make it in there like that?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Broodies will hold their poo.. when they do decide to go its a smell you will never forget [​IMG] ....I'm sure she is eating and drinking just fine, it's usually once a day to eat and drink...When I think one of mine is not eating or drinking I get her up off the nest once a day to do just that...

3. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Thanks Tuff, that would explain the smell. My first broody and she still has awhile to go yet. It was awful warm in there because when I opened the door I could feel it. I will make sure once this hatching process is done I give it a good stripping and cleaning.

4. GlacierNan

GlacierNan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    You might try sprinkling a little DE around the broody's area or Sweet PDZ. That should help dry the poo and make it less smelly.

5. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I have a broody poo bucket and clean the broody pens once a day. [​IMG]

6. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I am just afraid of disturbing her, she is in a very small area all cozy and I would have to take her off the nest and most likely even move all the eggs to clean it. I have DE and have had no luck with it de-smelling anything, which reminds me I need to start adding it again to their feed, I always end up forgetting.
    I have not seen PDZ in my area but we do have similar things, as a matter of fact I have a 5lb. sample bag of something in the barn so I will look at the ingredients and make sure it is safe and then I think I will try doing a little sprinkling. Supposed to be very warm again today and then more rain coming in for the weekend with cooling down temps.

7. mel58

mel58 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2007
    hi,

what I have done is throw a couple of scrap pieces of carpet over the small coop I have a broody in. it protects it from heat and cold weather both.

8. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I sprinkle a little DE around mine and I haven't noticed any smells. I do this about once a week. She will let me look at her eggs and adjust the nest without a problem. I am sure there are hens that would not do this! Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by