The little buggers really love wood lice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by billw, Oct 26, 2011.

1. billw

billw Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    WA Coast
    I flipped a board over by our garden and found about 100 wood lice (sowbugs, isopods, pillbugs, rolly pollys, pick your term), so I dumped them in a plastic container and gave them to our ten day old ducklings. It took them about fifteen minutes to figure things out. First, they just watched them, then they pecked at them without picking them up, then they picked them up and spit them out. Finally, one enterprising duckling chewed one up and ran for the water and the feeding frenzy began. The container was empty in just a couple minutes.

I guess I'll have to see about finding some more tomorrow.

I know too much protein can become a problem. How careful should I be?

2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Well, 'in the wild' ducklings would rely heavily on invertebrates for food. I am giving mine a handful of mealworms per day (between 4 one week old ducklngs) and they go crazy for them.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I feel the occasional invertebrate fiesta won't do much more than give you a load of particularly aromatic duckling droppings. Shew! [​IMG]

I might be sure to also give some peas or other non-protein treat to balance it out, actually. Are they getting grit yet? I understand that with "grownup food" they need to have some grit in their tummies to be able to "chew."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by