The Little Red coop or fun fun fun til her daddy ....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FarmerMack, Sep 14, 2008.

1. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    After taking in 5 chicks given to me i had a delema, they were about 7 months old and my current coop was designed for 12 max cap current seat is 11. I needed another coop fast so off to cheapo depot for lumber and such. then a few trips to the local lumber guy for additional supplys.
    My wife painted it, red because it was $11/gal at lowes. My other coop is white because it 10/gal [​IMG]
    the result is a small 4X4 coop designed after looking at some of the others posted on the coop page

door on the right, the house is level the camera isn't ;)only 1 nesting box for now which is removable, I still ll needs a hinged door as one bird though it was a place to sleep LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]I used 1x3 strapping for the roost at the front, along each wall is a 2x6 that they can use also

[​IMG]

Food water, current waterer will be replaced with a 4.5 gal bucket in the black watering pan on the nesting box as soon as the bucket i ordered from beprepared.com arrives

through the back door i can access the food, water and eggs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    guillotine style access door

[​IMG]

side view. plexiglass slides back out if needed. I just slide it back for ventilation.

[​IMG]

Small 4X5X3 detachable run it is locked in place with 2 hook latches on either side of the frame. wire mess on the sides and 2" welded wire on the top.

[​IMG]

it looks small in comparison to the 6X8

Goldie seems to like the window seat or maybe she's having coop envy :lauLOL[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    That is really nice. [​IMG]

I especially love the idea of the removeable plexiglass.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It looks great! [​IMG]

4. La Banan

La Banan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Wow! Great work and faaaaaast!
    Jan

5. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Nice! I really like the way you have the plexiglass covering the screened opening. I want to install a window in the back of our coop... If I can't find one that will work I think I'll "borrow" your idea [​IMG]. Thanks for posting your pics!

6. FarmerMack

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:Your welcome [​IMG] I actually found that idea on BYC.

7. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Like the colors, wifey has good taste. Go! Wifey. [​IMG] I wanted mine that color but hubby said to waterproof it to last longer. So it is.

8. FarmerMack

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:That is barn and fence "animal safe" and it should be water proof enough. The white has held up for a years. latex based. Animal safe really only seems to relate to lead content.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by